Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for book suggestions or puzzle suggestions for an 18 month old

Options
  • 18-12-2023 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. My niece is 18 months old. I am looking to get her something for Christmas and was thinking of getting her some books and or puzzles (e.g. jigsaw) for Christmas. She has loads of dolls and clothes already and so don't want to get her more of those. I thought books/puzzles would be something she would enjoy and you can never have too many of them (well in my adult opinion ;-) ).

I do not have children, so I was wondering if any of the parents on her might have any recommendations for an 18 month old either books or puzzles? Thanks.

I wasn't sure where to post this and thought After Hours is a good as forum as any. Mods, please feel free to move if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

With 4 kids of my own and a few nieces and nephews and I can not recommend the "Mog" books enough. Especially since "mog" showed up in a christmas advert with a cameo from the Author. The books are great and there is even a "mog at Christmas" book which just makes it extra perfect for a Christmas gift.

Other than that, the Dr Seuss books "Green eggs and ham" and "one fish two fish" are great books not only to read, but the Rhythm of them as you read them are great for putting kids to sleep.

And finally most Julia Donaldson books rock for that age kid too. But "Room on the broom" is my favorite. I can still recite that entire book from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Any Julia Donaldson books were big hits with all our little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Apart from books it's hard to go by Lego . Helps dexterity and other things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

At 18 months I suggest Duplo rather than Lego.

^True that. At that age you can never go wrong bringing music into their lives. They tend to be a bit small to hold a guitar :) but a good keyboard from casio always works. A Xylophone is always good at teaching them music and sounds. But in both cases you dont wannt get a cheap one. Too many music careers have probably been ruined because a musically inclined baby way given a cheap ass instrument :) But if you are really looking for athoughtful gift that will last.... go into a music store and get a good quality xylophone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Duplo is wonderful too. Its so much bigger than lego. There is not much in between lego and Duplo alas. My two daughters when they were young were obsessed with trying to pick up peas. Like they saw these tiny little balls and they focused on them like nothing else. But there was nothing smaller than lego out there!

So my philosophy is make sure the kids have choice. If they have "big" or "small" or whatever around them - try and get them something else that they might be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks very much to everyone who replied, much appreciated. I hadn't thought of Duplo, or a musical gift (though parents might not be too keen on anything that makes too much volume ;-) )

Advertisement