Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH - SIP w/Switch Issue

Options
  • 18-12-2023 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

I recently got a TP-Link ER7206, hoping to replace my F3000 from Eir. However, I completely forgot about my landline delivered over fibre. I tried using the F3000 in Bridge mode, but this knocks out the phone and will not work e.g.

ONT -> F3000 Eir Router (WAN in Bridge Mode) -> ER7206 (WAN)

While doing some reading, I came across a comment that suggested using an unmanaged switch after the ONT, e.g.

ONT -> Unmanaged Switch

And to that switch, I then connected the ER7206 (WAN) and F3000 (WAN) to.

The ER7206 and everything on its LAN have internet connectivity in this configuration. But the F3000 says it has internet connectivity when it does not. It doesn't get an IP address, and the phone line does not work. My guess is the switch is stripping the VLAN. (I will admit this is the extent of my networking knowledge on VLANs)

Therefore, is there any way to configure the F3000 to use the phone line / SIP? I don't want the F3000 in the mix for anything other than the phone, as we've had terrible trouble with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I believe the switch should be managed and allow vlan tagging on the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks Logie

However it just occurred to me that the ER7206 works fine through the switch, so its VLAN tags must be maintained. Therefore, I can’t understand why the F3000 would not work.

In other words, why can the F3000 not reach the internet when the ONT and ER7206 are on the same switch and work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Will the F3000 work through the switch with the ER7206 disconnected?

How are you connecting to the WAN PPPoE or DHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

You need a managed switch,

I use this one .NETGEAR GS308E-100UKS Gigabit Ethernet Managed Plus Desktop-Switch ,

and tag the ports as above.

Ah, you are quite right. The ER7206 uses DCHP; the F3000 uses PPP. That's probably it. Dang.

Could you ELI5 on that one? And are you using an Eir F3000 in a similar config? As above, I think the reason the ER7207 works is that it uses DCHP to connect to the ONT WAN, but the F3000 is using PPP so the switch would need to support that, right?

• Advertisement

I have used the switch with EIR, VF and now PURE, I have in effect 2 routers, 2 wi fi networks and the phone. I use ASUS RT-AX88U as the main and its pretty good.

This is the 5 port one , Netgear GS105E-200PES 5-Port Smart Managed Plus Gigabit Switch . I used amazon de

When you get the switch you have to log into it and configure the ports to Vlan 10 and away you go. Its that simple.

NETGEAR has full instructions, so where you read unmanaged was wrong. I have both managed and unmanaged. At the time only the 8 was in stock.

Works a treat I may add, I use dect phones with extensions.

Sorry to labour the point, but I just don't want to buy another switch and be back to square one :D But to double-check, your connection would be:

ONT -> Managed Switch

And from the managed switch, would you connect the EIR/VF/PURE router AND the ASUS?

Basically, the Netgear switch is "between" the ONT and your Routers?

And second, what mode is the ASUS in? DCHP or PPP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Connect the WAN port of both routers to the switch and also to the ONT. For Eir, use DHCP in the majority of cases. The only reason why you'd use PPPoE is that it's needed to get a static IP if you have one, but most domestic users don't.

Unfortunately, the F3000, you can't change how it connects to WAN; it's forced as PPP. My ER7206, however, can connect via DHCP without trouble.

That's why I have the clarification above; I want to confirm that the F3000 can still connect via PPP via a managed switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

With a managed switch there should be no issue with DHCP on one and PPPoE on the other, provided that the VLANs are correctly tagged. Some unmanaged switches will pass the VLAN traffic, others will not.

• Advertisement

My hope is that is the issue here as my current switch is unmanaged. I'll report back here with a write-up if/when I get it working!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

You do not need a managed switch, at least most people have not needed one to get this working. There is an edge case with Google devices that does require a managed switch but that does not apply here.

You were asked a pertinent question by @dam099 which you ignored i.e does the F3000 obtain a usable connection if connected to the switch on its own; so ONT /> Switch /> F3000?

If not does the F3000 work correctly connected directly to the ONT?

You've said yourself that the switch is passing VLAN tags for the ER7206 allowing it to connect so why would it be altering VLAN tags on its other ports.

What make and model of switch is it by the way?

ASUS is in PPPoE. PURE is DHCP.

Post edited by swoofer on

Advertisement