Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to print high megapixel images?

Options
  • 18-12-2023 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get prints of very high resolution images (100 to 200 megapixels each), but Photobox has a limit of 90 megapixels. Any recommendations for who might print these?

They are the new INFOMAR Blue Scale maps, think they'd look great as large prints. Even though the native resolution is overkill for this, I'd prefer not to compress them if I can. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Dublin Bay Map is 14,043 x 9,933 px, which equates to about 139.5 megapixels.

Were you to print that at 300dpi, the resulting image would be 46.81 x 33.11 in.

The problem is that you usually wouldn't print an image that big at 300dpi, because it would be overkill - 300dpi is the print resolution you're use for something like a book or a photo that you're holding about a foot away from your eyes. To take in a 4 foot wide print, you'd be standing an about 6 feet away from it, so the detail you get from 300dpi is wasted.

I don't know what size you're planning on printing, but if you're planning on printing smaller than 46.81 x 33.11 in (which is about A0 in paper size), then 139.5 megapixels is unnecessary anyway, because it'll have to be downscaled (not the same as compressed) for a 300dpi printer anyway. So you may as well do it before you upload it, because otherwise it's just wasting bandwidth and storage.

If you're really keen on looking into this, you should probably talk to a small fine art printing company rather than one of the big mass printers. I've never used them, but https://www.fineartprintstudio.ie/ look like they'd be worth talking to. Bear in mind that an A0 print from them costs €163.90: https://www.fineartprintstudio.ie/artwork-printing-services-ireland/#!/A0-Hahnem%C3%BChle-Photo-Rag%C2%AE/p/405891584/category=120743544

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

www.whitewall.com do great work at high resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. Decided to try a cheap A2 print, and reduced the image size using Imagemagick. If they look good, I might try the enormo-print route next!

Advertisement