Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Plywood for cabinets ?

Options
  • 17-12-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I am looking for Plywood for Wall cabinets, shelf backing, workbench sub-surface & sides and overhead shelving in a dry, insulated interior workshop. I'll be making the framing from 2x4 and 2x2 Planed-all-over white deal (painted), with shelving and backing panels in 18mm Ply. It won't be hacked around too much, just used for storage of tools etc.

How it looks cosmetically is important to me, and I am not keen on the very dark Reddish/Pinkish Ply that you sometimes see.

I am looking to order from Brooks Thomas, and was thinking of the following options

18mm "Lumin" brand Eucalyptus Plywood @ €61 Looks like a nice grain on it. I can't work out if it is GRADE BB facing on it, but I did see it in the store and it seems nice and clean and smooth enough to me (not rough ply for hidden construction work)

18mm Marine Plywood €88 - I didn't see this in store when I visited

18mm Birch Plywood @ €142

The 18mm "Lumin" brand Eucalyptus Plywood seems to be a new entrant into the market (link here) - does anybody know anything about it / have any experience with it. Cosmetically I think it looks good, but will it be suitable for cabinets and shelving ?

Marine Ply (depending on the variant they have) is an unknown to me cosmetically, although I know it will be good & strong. Birch Ply I like the look of and I know it is considered the best for kitchen cabinets , however it is a considerable jump up in price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I bought a couple of sheets of that Eucalyptus plywood during covid. I only used a quarter sheet so far, to make a new crosscut sled for my table saw. I found it good- cuts, sands and takes a finish well, no voids or delamination of the veneers. I don't know what I paid for it then but it was probably half the cost of birch ply.

Advertisement