Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing a power shower

Options
  • 17-12-2023 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We have an electric shower in the bathroom that I know is gravity fed from the tank in the attic. It works reasonably well but we'd like more power from it and also potentially like to run it off the hot water cylinder.

Our cylinder was only fitted this year and is only 120 litres so maybe it's to small to run a shower from? We have four people in the house.

The tank is pre insulated and at the moment I'm heating it using immersion at night between 3 and 5am on 5 cents kWh electricity. I have an Eddi connected to it so can top up with solar when available or boost with the gas in the evenings of needs be.

I've see where people heat the tank to maybe something like 65c and use a tmv valve on the tank to reduce the temp down thereby making the hot water last longer and insure no scalding etc.

So my question is on tank size (I don't want to change it)

If it will work. Would it be possible to run a feed from the tank up into the attic and down into the bathroom through the ceiling where the shower unit would be sited?

Is it a hot and cold feed that's required? Could I reuse the cold feed from the tank that's there for for the electric shower and run just a hot feed from the cylinder?

I'd like not to interfere with existing tiling. If I could run the pipes along the tile surface would that be doable? Maybe chrome pipes down from the ceiling?

Obviously would be getting a plumber but check checking the feasibility of it at the moment.

Would you need a pump for the shower feed or would the shower on its own be powerful enough?

Thanks

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Your cylinder is on the small side, particularly given that you want to make best use of solar and off peak power. Many houses have that cylinder size, but it would typically be backed by a gas or oil boiler to immediately start bringing it back up to temp. So I think there would be a good case to be made for a larger cylinder if that was any way feasible.

The remained of your proposal sounds fine. It would likely look much better to have the pipes coming into the back of the shower and hidden. It is on a studded wall? Or solid block?

The integral pump on the power shower will be fine, you don’t need another pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thank you. It would be a studded tiled wall where the shower is currently mounted. I guess I could try the current cylinder and see how I get on? I wouldn't mind using the gas to boost the cylinder when needed. I would be rare we have multiple showers consecutively but can happen. Any suggestions for a good pumped shower? One of the goals would be to have a stronger flow.

Cheers

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The Triton Novel SR would probably be the most common and good value for money. It should deliver twice to three times the flow rate of what you have currently.

It might be possible to get the pipes down through the studded wall. Even if it had to be opened from the other side if needed.

Can the hot feed be qualpex? Might we worth trying. Can't really access from the other side as it's just freshly decorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Best option is to keep the electric shower and install a Triton novel SR silent running thermostatic power shower. The electric shower can be used as backup for when there is no hot water in the cylinder. You will run out of hot water if you have several showers after each one. It takes about two hours to heat a full cylinder from scratch.

If you do remove the electric shower you should know that the electrical supply isn't suitable or safe for a power shower. Cable is way too large to use safely in a power shower and the RCBO at the fuse box is way to big for a power shower. You will definitely need an electrician on the job to make it safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

We have a 120 lt cylinder heated with an eddi in summer and oil/electricity in winter. The cylinder feeds a mixer shower fed by a booster pump located next to the cylinder

We find that with 120 lts you have enough hot water for 2 long showers (15 minutes) or maybe 3 shorter showers, I think you will struggle to get 4 full showers out of 120 lts unless you stagger your showers over several days.

I suppose could always go with the shower and keep the cylinder and see how it goes. It would be rare we'd have more than two showers in a row. I'm only ever 3 minutes in the shower, teenage daughter is probably the longest..wife and then adult son. I guess keeping the electric shower is also an option. Would just look a little odd having two showers?

I repair & fit showers for a living. Plenty of people have two showers in the one shower cubicle

Happy new year folks,

Thinking of going with a shower pump and mixer shower along side the electric shower. Are their better or worse mixer showers?

what size / power pump would you be looking at?

Cheers

Mick

Any issues with this shower folks? Think it's a UK model so would there be challenges with fittings etc?

• Advertisement

hi folks,

i want to plumb our shower from the ceiling - run chrome pipes down to avoid tiles/wall work - i've seen these from Triton

The issue is they will sit the bar out from the wall which means the bracket for the fixed pipe/showerhead will need some kind of spacer between it

Any suggestions for materials to use? i guess would need to be waterproof.

This is the bracket for holding the upright bar in place. It looks like it would be adjustable with the grub screw. If there's not enough I think it could add some 25mm rubber washers behind the wall fixing which should do the trick.

Of course when I say I can add I mean the plumber that will be fitting it

It looks like if plumbed from the rear the pipework would extend 35mm

with the exposed pipework fitting 44mm. I might get away with the grub screw adjustment but a 10mm washer or a couple of 5s etc should do the job hopefully.

Shower finally plumbed in today. Had a tmv fitted on the clyinder as well. Shower is such a nice experience compared to the electric. Electric still there as backup but I can't see it getting much use!

Nice and tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxhunter2024

Looks well, is your house a bungalow that you had attic to get back to the hot press and fit a 2 bar pump?

No it's two story. 2 bar pump in hotpress. Cold water tank is on a raised platform in the attic. Was worried pump wouldn't work but it's flying it. Went with surface mounted pipework to avoid ripping tiles

The chrome surface pipes look good, fair play nice result.

Have a question on qualpex piping - is there any value insulating it in the hotpress/attic?

Thanks,

Mick

I’d insulate it in the attic and use all round band to fix it.

• Advertisement

had a look in the attic and its actually running under the attic insulation so its probably insulated well enough with that? i might do the hotpress.

Haven't done it myself yet but building regulations say it should be insulated. Again I haven't done it myself yet but it makes sense to insulate as much of the pipe work as possible. In the 80s when I was training the belief was that the lost heat was going back into the house, so not lost heat. Modern thought with science behind it says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Currently in the process of doing the same and also keeping the electric shower. Might not connect hose to electric shower and only connect electric shower to hose off new shower when needed. Only one shower jose in cubicle then. Might be a little less cluttered looking providing hose connections are the same which I presume they are. Good job BTW.

Needless to say out electric shower hasn't been used since... Tank is doing ok.. daughter had a 20 minutes shower the other night which pushed it . Having the temp sensors on the tank and boosting from the gas for 30 minutes seems to cover most occasions

i should have clarified on the home automation.. ive a 120 litre tank so two longish showers would drain it.. ive temp sensors top middle and bottom of the tank which allow me to track the water temp.. ive home automation with home assistant which boosts the hot water for the cylinder for 30 minutes once the temp in the middle of the tank drops below 35 degrees.. i also heat it via the immersion at night as we've cheap rates between 2 and 5am.. 5.5 cents per kwh.. im not sure overall we'd be saving in energy usage over the electric shower.. but the shower experience is way nicer..

Advertisement