Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney problem

Options
  • 17-12-2023 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello looking for advice off anyone with the experience and understanding of a chimney,

4 years ago we fitted a stove in our sitting room to the fireplace , doing away with the open fire. The heat from it was unbelievable 🔥. The house was alot warmer and cosier and after couple years then the man cleans our chimney mentioned were in trouble with chimney as sand comming down when he cleans chimney . We got done through our insurance and got a felxi flue pipe put down through clay liners.

Now the house has not been the same ever since this was done. Can feel a draught coming through sitting room door. Like all the air in house is heading towards the stove.

Any advice.

Checked for air leaks around chimney and everything sealed up . Can't find problem 😕

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Do you have proper ventilation in the room for the stove.

BTW I'd have expected that your insurance would have paid for a propper chimney fix rather than a sticking plaster fix. You had problems with your clay liner pipes and this doesn't seem to have been properly addressed.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dig all

There is a vent in the room and it's a stanley oisin non boiler stove. Great draw on chimney as well. I thought the flexi flue pipe would have been good enough to do the job as opposed to wrecking the house knocking out holes in the chimney to re line . I don't know where the heat is going ?

The sitting room before this couldn't stick the heat in from the stove and no draft comming in from the door put to the hallway ? Now a draft comming in from hallway. Since replaced new front door also. Seems to be an air leek somewhere 🤔

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You need to get the manual out for the stove and check that the flue liner is properly sized. Also that the vent is properly sized.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Does the stove have baffles?

had our chimney swept couple of months ago. Baffles weren't put back in correctly. Room full of smoke and very little draw.

dug out the manual, repositioned one of two baffles - sorted.

I wonder if you have the reverse situation - baffle opened too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The only operational difference between the original setup and your current setup is that the liner flue is by definition smaller bore than the original.

This is clearly the issue.

For your fire to burn at same rate as before, airspeed up and out of narrower flue would be greatly increased.

Without this increase fire would burn slower.

I'd suggest you put chimney back to original condition to get back to original comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Not a good call.

What was done is the way it should be done, as in the flexible flue liner.

A stove shouldn't be connected directly into a clay flue.

But something clearly wasn't done correctly, I'd be getting the installers back to have a look and rectify it.

Advertisement