Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ having to host it is pretty much the only negative to winning the competition.. so as a poster above mentioned… BBC, it's all yours…..

Is there a venue in Belfast that would be big enough to host a Eurovision?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Painful. I would say she will still be doing fluff gossip reporting and other nonsense at that stage and picking up an easy paycheque (aged 48..lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I have to say and it kills me to say this but bar 1997 (but in fairness that was a 5th eurovision in 10 years) RTÉ's eurovisions were the best of that era, and that 1988 show really made what EUROVISION was to become.

The venue is a big issue across the Island but could Eurovision be hosted in one of the Stadia ?

What venue in NI was suggested for the UK's hosting?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

Ok everyone it's time to get excited...

This looks insane! Absolutely phenomenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delboy85

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭derb12

goosebumps!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

All rehearsal clips from today

Agree with the comments above, Bambie's looking great. Can't wait to see see the whole thing! My tv will be flying through a window next Tuesday if we don't make it.

that looks fcuking AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Sounds fcuking AMAZING

I said it before, I’ll say it again. We are winning the Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭supereurope

Just out of interest, why don't you think 1997 was a good hosting? It's a very popular edition with much of the online fandom, with particular praise for the stage and Carrie's hosting. The only mistake RTÈ made was bringing Ronan Keating onboard as a fairly useless co-host, but thankfully he didn't do much.

It hurts me to say this as a Corkonian, but I'd argue 1993 was our weakest contest. Bringing the contest to rural Ireland was a brave move by RTÉ and Fionnuala was a great presenter, but otherwise it's not very impressive. The stage was fine but it was too far away from the audience, so they all looked a bit removed from the action (admittedly audiences were quieter back then anyway), the camerawork was poor and the interval act was dreadful, possibly the worst of the decade. And a bit like the 1992 contest, it feels a bit 80s. The 1994 contest was when the 90s arrived to Eurovision.

You're right on 1988 though, Eurovision was never the same again after that, even if it was a bit "style over substance" as it wasn't the greatest collection of songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,179 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That looks amazing! Roll on Tuesday! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmy Raggatip

Can't shake the feeling that a novelty act (Croatia/Holland) will win this year as revenge for Kaarija last year. There was a big disappointment amongst the voting public, I can see people getting disillusioned with the competition if another polished song wins particularly if it was Italy that already comes through a renowned music competition. The public knows what it wants from Eurovision!

I wouldn't categorise Croatia or the Netherlands as novelty songs, they both have a message that's delivered in a slightly jokey manner. But there is a seriousness behind both songs.

The rubbish from Finland, however, is pure novelty sh*te.

Back in 1989, Liam Miller proposed putting a roof on Páirc Uí Chaoimh to stage the contest in Cork. Considering our poor entry that year, he probably felt safe to make suggestions like that with no fear of them ever coming true.

Of course, 12 years later Danish television put a roof on a football stadium to allow it to host the contest…and it was a disaster of a venue. Just too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

According to Eurovisionworld.com Ireland has only a 2% chance of winning as opposed to Switzerland which has a 23% chance.
    im genuinely baffled as to who people here seem to think we have the remotest chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭squonk

Scott Mills has just had an interview with Windows95 Man. I know tge song but just hearing it played off the radio it sounded great. I really enjoyed it. It could be a big party song on the night if it gets through. Somehow I got caught up in how nuts it was watching the video but the song itself is a banger. Sadly from experience, my liking a song is kind of the kiss of death to its prospects!

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I guarantee you, the percentage chances on Eurovisionworld will have shot up by this time next week (Wednesday). Bambie is rapidly gaining traction and momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I admire your optimism!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't know about winning but it should qualify without any problems, and finish close to the top ten.

• Advertisement

I think it is very much of its time (I have no issue with Carrie Crowley, I agree Ronan "Nasal" Keating was a massive mistake). The set tries to look expansive but actually fails massively, the circular stage isn't big enough for the contestants and unfortunately for the set the design ended up be utilise massively on RTÉ up into the 2000s (Though this is not as big an issue for younger or European audiences). Though I really like the intro to that Eurovision, and IMO BBC's 1998 actually fails in comparison, its clearly a bigger venue but the set is far too small for the stage??? (something really off about that set, I am not quite sure what, was it to bright?).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The teaser looks great, I really hope it's enough to get Bambie into the main event and get a decent amount of points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Fingers crossed and offer up a few hail Marys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmy Raggatip

What do we think the reaction in the hall is going to be for Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

not sure what the swedes think of the whole israel thing but i still think they'll get lashed out of it with boos. i've never agreed with israel being allowed to compete in european competitions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We'll hardly hear any boos at home, back in 2015 there was 'anti booing technology' deployed (same thing as in noise cancelling headphones) for the reaction to the Russian song

My tv will be flying through a window next Tuesday if we don't make it.

If we don't qualify, I think it'll be the 1st year the Marty Meltdown will be fully justified.

I have had just a quick glace this year, am I wrong to suggest that there are a lot of similar songs/acts or at least staging? (I have only glace at the last few post here on boards and nothing else!).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I just had a look at teh recap of the 1st semi final rehearsals there, and nothing is really standing out in fairness…

Guaranteed qualifiers look like Baby Lasagna, Windows 95 man, Ukraine, and then 7 others, and at this stage I'd be really surprised if we don't qualify…

If this is the supposed 'strong' semi-final, I quite fancy our chances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement