Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

When you put it that way I do now feel like part of a blessed generation to remember the three in a row. I feel a bit like a Liverpool fan pre-Klopp

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Day 3 rehearsal clips

Nemo seems to be dressed as a cross between Big Bird and a flamingo. Not sure if it'll be too polarising for casual viewers, I guess we'll see.

Today we'll get a highly-anticipated look at Joost's first rehearsal.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,179 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Joost’s song is really starting to grow on me - any song that you can shout ‘HEY!’ (like all the best glam rock records) is OK by me.

🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Europapa could actually win Eurovision - it wouldn't be a big surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Hold on lads….. I remember buying Dana’s record 😳😳😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It would be when juries make up 50% of the voting imo. And if today's rehearsal pictures are anything to go by then I think it could possibly be a bit divisive amongst the televote too 😅

Climbing up the chart, pop-pickers!

Not ‘arf, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

this day next week people….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delboy85

Me too.

I HATED it at first but it has slowly grown on me to the point now that I wouldn't be unhappy if it won.

• Advertisement

Rehearsal clips from today

We don't see that much of Joost because he's trying to save as much as he can for the live shows.

Big day tomorrow as second rehearsals start and we should get actual TV shots of the songs. Will give us a much better insight into how they're coming across. It's a weird feeling actually looking forward to the Irish rehearsal!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭supereurope

Two Sunday newspaper front pages from this day in the past, 1988 and 1994, both reporting on the events of the previous night.

(I really hope that Liam Neeson fella makes the most of his big break, btw.)

Joking aside, I really hope Ireland qualify this year.

Time for RTE/Linda Martin/Liveline callers to acknowledge that it’s not the 1990s anymore. Not looking to the past, being as progressive and forward-thinking as Sweden when it comes to making music - making music that is ‘of the moment’.

Regardless of how you feel about ‘Doomsday Blue’, it’s been far too long in the wilderness - hopefully this marks the start of a new chapter for Ireland in Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If the witch does not qualify I dread to think what will happen. It could end up like Prom night in Carrie for all the people in the arena in Malmo. Then the witch will fly home on her broomstick to Cork and kill everybody there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the Eurovision was scripted by Stephen King :)

Whichever way Cork has to go:

Before or after to ensure success or celebrate it - it is a sacrific Im prepared to accept.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I really want us to do well/qualify for the final for a number of reasons…

1. National Pride - We've been an embarrassment at Eurovision pretty much since the turn of the century bar a few half decent songs. At one point we were Eurovision Royalty, and that reputation has long since vanished, so it would be nice to start rebuilding it.
    2. I really like our song. I heard it (the studio version) a few days before Eurosong, and before I knew anything about the artist, and was blown away by it. My musical background is Rock/Metal, and then Techno/Minimal Techno with sprinklings of Drum n Bass & Dubstep, Hip-Hop etc….. (I would advise anyone to listen to the song again with a large subwoofer turned up full - the baseline during the acoustic section is amazing. Amazing). So it's the first song in a long time that I feel is worthy of getting behind, and genuinely wanting it to do well.
    3. Our 9yo son is really getting into the Eurovision lately, and it was gutting for him last year when we didn't qualify for the final (which I fully expected, and have done in most previous years, so never really was too bothered when we failed to qualify), and he burst into tears when we failed to make the final… (I didn't realise he'd be that upset about it).
    4. To spite Linda Martin, and hopefully end for once and for all her involvement in the process of selecting/backing/promoting our songs going forwards…
    5. See point 4.
    6. See point 5.
    7. See point 6.
    8. To get that feeling of excitement/pride again if we do reach the final… semi-finals are great and all, but the final is the big one, the main event, and thats where you want to be performing.
    9. See points 7, 6, 5 & 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@AndyBoBandy

I want Ireland to win not because

1. I think Bambie is good
    2. I think its a good song
    3. I think we should be proud and Why me is in the past
    4. I think its the best song we've sent this millenium
    5. I think it will be a proud moment for Ireland to win

No I want Ireland to win because

1. RTÉ might actually have to turn around to the BBC and say, hey Beeb while this has absolutely nothing to do with the mess that we have created with the national broadcaster here in Ireland, but Belfast looks good in May right? Good for Irish British relations to host it there at this time of our history, right? Belfast 2025 sounds good, heck you can call it Londonderry 2025 if you just take this thing from us, even Newry 2025, Newtownards 2025… Craigavon 2025 (Do it for Oscar!).
    2. See number 1 of this list.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Not that it's something we have to worry about this year, but it would be interesting to see Ireland hosting a modern day Eurovision.

I don't think it'd be a popular one with the fans, hotel prices would be astronomical and many probably wouldn't bother. I wonder where the fan village etc. would go.

I'd rather our long-awaited next win doesn't come until people like Jennifer Zamperelli, Lottie Ryan and Doireann Garrihy are all out of favour at RTÉ. If we won this year, they'd probably be at the top of RTÉ's list of potential hosts.

• Advertisement

Linda will be unbearable if Bambie fails to qualify. She'll be in every newspaper and on every radio station "I TOLD YOU TO VOTE FOR LOUIS WALSH'S BAND", conveniently ignoring that Next in Line were no hopers. Whatever happens next week, people are talking about Bambie - I can assure you no one would have been talking about Next in Line, except perhaps speculation about whether they or Hera from Iceland would finish last in the semi.

Thing is, if Bambie does make the final and finishes on the left-hand side of the scoreboard, Linda will still be over the media the following Monday saying "We went for something different this year, it got back us back to the final but now it's time to go for stability. We've had our experimentation phase, it's time for a strong ballad. Louis Walsh has a new band who'd be perfect, they're young, good-looking and they can sing. I think they could go all the way."

Louis Walsh has a new band who'd be perfect, they're young, good-looking and they can sing. I think they could go all the way."

I literally shuddered when reading this….

yeah, they could go all the way……. …to the semi-final where they'd finish somewhere between 13th and 16th, and Linda would then claim that Europe doesn't know good music anymore….. (though the Marty meltdown would be good…)

"They're young, good-looking and they can sing. I think they could go all the way" is Linda's go-to comment to the media every year when talking about whichever act Louis is sending to Eurosong.

I hope and pray for the day when RTÉ realises Louis Walsh knows nothing about 21st century Eurovision and dumps his acts out of the Eurosong selection process long before the final, instead of the fast-tracking they get currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How much airtime has it had on radio? Practically zilch.

Why? It's not really a song as such.

Which is fine, we are sending an act, a bit of theatre but let's not pretend it's a song.

Be good to see it qualify but won't be surprised at all if it doesn't. We are an island on the edge of Europe. My two cents

______

Yesterday

My 2 cent on "politcal/neighbours" voting : -

1. Yes it does happen
    2. However if a good strong song comes from the periphery countries it has a chance of winning
    3. However if we only see mediocre songs it will be a win for that "act" or the best of a mediocre set of central European songs.

I haven't being following but if this is a strong year Ireland's act won't win and may not even get to the final.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd reckon if we can qualify for the final, we might do OK. But the semi is a big hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

Pics are up from the second rehearsal today:

https://eurovision.tv/gallery/ireland-bambie-thug-doomsday-blue

This is looking so so good. I can't believe it's Ireland!

The makeup has changed and looks much better here I think.

Really excited to see this on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I much prefer this look ; it's really striking but suits Bambie as well.

• Advertisement

Considering her manner is very much "My dad was a big star at RTÉ so it owes me a living too", she probably thinks she has a God-given right to host it should it ever it come back to these shores "My dad hosted it so I should too."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement