Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The way Eurovision is run is the day before each semi-final and final they do a full dress rehearsal, It is kept to the same timing by the second and if any issues such as having to evacuate or cut the feed they would move to the nights before tape.

They don't have a delay for a fast cut but we have seen in the past the director shows the crowd if someone runs on stage before they are pulled off pretty quickly and get back to performing. Running on stage just means they would get to perform again so it would give the obsoite of what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Russia was not attacked before invading another country, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

What exactly do they expect the EBU to do about it?

How dare audience members have free will and the ability to express themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Like all good democracies, Israel wants dissent crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s what they want! The best thing you can do with the likes of Israel or anyone jumping up and down grandstanding is to completely ignore them. If I was an audience member I’d turn my back on the stage and remain completely silent. There might still complain Scott being ignored but that’s not actionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Glad to hear the Israeli act got some boos in the rehearsal. Acts like Bambi Thug were getting abuse for not boycotting but the only reason they were put in that position is because the EBU won't do the right thing and ban Israel from participating.

I know some people say that politics should have nothing to do with it but it's a National competition where acts represent their countries and are voted on by other countries. There's always going to be an element of politics in something like that.

Russia got, rightly, banned when they invaded Ukraine. Israel should be banned this year.

Since they haven't been then they can put up with a bit of booing.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

So you admit Palestine should be recognised as a country?

Have their, internationally recognised, territories/borders been respected or have they been systematically invaded?

Isreal are, literally, an occupying force and conducting plantations

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭yagan

Israel has illegally annexed Palestinian land, still continues to do so in the west bank.

They never wanted a two state solution as that would freeze the extent of Israel.

Rabin was assassinated for simply being open to the two state solution.

I can see the EBUs position. To be fair to Israel they didn’t start the war. That was Hamas and it was a brutal attack and that’s what probably kept Israel in. Russia attacked Ukraine so were the aggressor. However, genocide absolutely trumps that initial attack and Israel’s subsequent actions definitely warranted a ban. Trouble is what is required for a ban? Is it a unanimous ENU member decision? Germany and UK won’t vote to kick Israel out. There are more I’m certain but don’t know for sure.

Also, while Russia largely went “Screw you guys! We wouldn’t have taken part anyway” and left it at that, Israel would have labelled the EBU antisemetic and people seem to not want to be labelled that. Anti Israel isn’t antisemitism though, much as Israel like to paint it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

The war didn't start last October though and Israel is the (massively armed) illegal occupying force

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I agree but Oct 7 was the catalyst for the current issues. There wasn’t an issue with Isradl’s inclusion last year. The difference now is there’s obvious annexation, displacement of the Palestinian population and genocide going on. I agree that Israel didn’t suddenly become the playground bully only in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

It wasn't all roses before hamas attacked, you could go back to any month before Oct 23 and you'll see Palestinians being killed and moved from their land so isralie settlers can take it.

I'm no hamas supporter, far from it, but to think this started last Oct would be a stretch.

Israel has been annexing land illegally and genociding the Palestinians people for generations now.

Even the concept of a secular Israel ended in 2018 when the Knesset voted that Israel be the Jewish homeland.

Trump made things worse by moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem in defiance of the original UN two state solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

that’s a lovely bit of free marketing promotion for Bambi.
    Thankyou Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Russia got, rightly, banned when they invaded Ukraine. Israel should be banned this year.

How can people continue to say this while blatantly ignoring what was done on October 7th.

I just can't get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd dare Bambi to spend some time in Palestine or any Muslim country.

Doubt they'd be treated well.

I’m not disagreeing with you or @Gerry T I agree and was always uncomfortable with Israel in Eurovision but you just can’t be against everything all the time. All I’m saying is what was simmering over has turned into a huge kitchen fire now. So, yes, sometimes enough is enough and they should be out. If they want to become a religious state, I’m sorry for them. There is a difference between a nationality and a religion and that shoukd be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,350 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Eep.

https://x.com/sahouraxo/status/1788593796050985434

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Seriously?

Ok I'll bite. It's because of what has happed since October 7th. October 7th wasn't a free pass to kill 30,000 people (and counting) but that's what has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well surely the EBU can just ignore it like Israel ignored the UN. Fuk em the little crybabies can't take a boo.

Hope this ends with a NQ for Israel and we can return to the real business!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭archfi

Anyone looking forward to a bit of singing and music rather than wishing and hoping for booing?

Like others, this'll be my first time hearing tonights efforts, looking forward to that.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Then Ukraine should be banned by that logic.

Maybe the competition should be left be and leave the pulpit thumping slide for a few days.

Lots of very rich and cosseted artists called for Bambi to not go. Give her the ducking chance, they have made there wedge and want the sanctimonious wallet filled as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The EBU will just turn the volume of the crowd down and then tweet claiming everyone was saying "boo-urns"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

they’ll be screeching “ANTI SEMITES” booooo hoooo …… “feel sorry for us poor victim nation that we are as we occupy , bomb, dismember and murder the Gaza population.” , they’ll probably throw in the usual “we are just defending ourselves” too.

Nil point tonite hopefully and they can tell their story walking back to the war torn mess THEY are responsible for.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This nonsense again 😬

I'm sure Bambie is perfectly aware that she wouldn't be able to live her life freely in Palestine. That doesn't mean they should be wiped off the face of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭suvigirl

some serious judging going on there! I'm far from a psychopath but I don't have an issue with Israel competing. It's a song competition. As far as I know the act isn't Benjamin Netanyahu performing? It's just a singer let her perform without all the politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ah Jaysis, is this thread gonna.be like this all night? There is a thread about Israel and Palestine I believe already.

Can we not just have the craic about the Eurovision?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement