Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rumours around Ireland but from highly dubious sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Needmoretea

Top 4 better again. The song is either going to be loved or hated and it's not usually my cup of tea but it's a breath of fresh air and we needed something like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It’s inevitable as soon as people start drinking lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That is so sad for him especially given his background & the reasons behind the song

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Back on topic.

I wasn't able to watch either of the semis and managed to stay away from spoilers/clips (bar Bambie).

A like a few of the uptempo songs so looking forward to the stage presentation of these. I'm from Greece, but not a huge fan of our song - still hope that she can do well.

Norway on my favourites, as I am at a folk/symphonic/medieval rock metal kick lately- they could have taken it even further.

Not a fan of any of the ballads, if one were to win I would rather see Portugal. The Latvian sounds decent, but not for Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would say that while I disliked many of them 9more due to lack of singing talent, rather than being bad songs), Bambis was one of the worst and I was surprised it got through. Make up, set design, choreography was really good but the song was not good. My tastes are eclectic, I am confident in saying that it just wasn't good no matter your preferences in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Will the EBU be able to handle anti-boo sound technology for four whole hours when the entire arena are singing ‘Europapa’? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The israeli delegation including eden have been goading and intimidating everyone since they arrived in Malmo i have no sympathy for her as she seems to not care about other things im not allowed mention in this thread anymore.

Joost as we have just learned did nothing close to what many including you have accused and found him guilty of despite having no real knowledge of what happend beyond your own hysterical imaginings.

Bambis writing in ogham while yes against the rules i have no problem with but again im not allowed mention this topic in here anymore. And if the rules were being followed equally israel should have had repeated warnings for their behaviour but have not likely due to the main sponsors nationality.

Also she didnt wear a keffiyah that was Eric Saade from Sweden, he is ethnically palestinian by his father and therefore it is part of his culture so get your facts right. The EBU telling him he cannot display and be proud of his own cultrue is fvcking disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Well, no. I and many others liked it a lot and thought it was good. Otherwise it wouldn't have got through. Maybe your tastes aren't as eclectic as you thought they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think she has broken the rules if she put this up. What a silly thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Michelle Visage just played ‘One Step Out Of Time’ by Michael Ball.

Felt no shame about doing the ‘double air punch’ at the chorus in general public.

I’m now staying in the house till August. 😞

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

She was wearing the keffiyeh in the video where she said she was crying. If the statement about Joost is true, then yes, it's a massive over reaction and I would feel bad for being suspicious of him. However, the significantly bigger issue would be the insane level of over-reaction from the Swedish police. Malmo has huge crime problems, the police shouldn't be trying to prosecute someone for making a vague feinting gesture at someone. The EBU should have absolutely no influence over the Swedish police.

And while the Israeli delegation have engaged with some pathetic childish behaviour, they haven't done anything even close to what was done to them. Not even remotely. I don't like the statements Golan has made, but she's little more than a kid who has little real experience of the other side of the war her country if in. Booing her, treating her like a pariah will do absolutely nothing to help change her stance, it will only harden in.

Winning the Irish Eurosong is no assurance of quality as we all know.

I don’t think it’s a great song myself to be honest. There’s a reason it isn’t getting much play on the radio, its strength as a Eurovision entry is mostly in how it’s presented visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pity we didn't get to hear Michael belting out a ballad though… thought it was a strange selection by the UK there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Did she wear the keffiyeh on stage? No. then its not breaking the rules so whats the problem?

I disagree, make the EBU stand by their own statements, if they ban another act the unstable house of cards they have built will collapse quite quickly i imagine, especially now we know how much of a nothing burger the incident they used to get rid of Joost was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It's crazy anything is political if it it even refers even slightly to the elephant in the room, the israel Palestine conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

My comment was in reply to

I am confident in saying that it just wasn't good no matter your preferences in music.

Which is just blatantly untrue. It's a good, well crafted, multi layered song. Whether you like it or not is neither here no there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

LOL this is just so funny looking at the hysterical tantrums that a certain cohort have when they're little online complaints don't get someone cancelled.

They just resort to more and more outlandish lies. I've seen people adamantly furious with Israel for the Dutch lad getting the boot. Who could trust any of their claims or sources. Absolute embarrassment. Those people alone and not Israel have ruined a song competition and yet they will scream like toddlers in a supermarket because they didn't get what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

I can't take anybody seriously who uses teen American words like butthurt that they've seen on twitter.

I doubt I'm alone in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭archfi

Good points.

I actually don't mind the song (as in the tune) and do think she's talented.

But I do not like her at all.

But hey, that's the same with many people - like the talent, dislike the person/views.

Some people these days cannot/will not appreciate talent if they also dislike the person/views which is very limiting.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

and does she have any sympathy for the gays who are routinely buried to their necks in sand and stoned to death in the Arab world?

Mod - geopolitics, and how some countries hate people is not what the thread was for.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭volchitsa

If absolutely nothing happened, how likely is it that the Swedish police would be involved?

So given that they are involved, is there a chance that it might be that the Dutch broadcaster is underplaying the behaviour of the Dutch contestant?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - No more talk of the details of the fallout from the October 7 attacks, and where that situation is at now. Some warnings issued. Next step is thread bans.

I heard somewhere Ball absolutely hated that song he had to sing.

That's the public vote for ya!

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think Bambi prefers to be referred to as they not she.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What was the gesture Joost is said to have made to the camera/camera woman? When I read the Dutch statement, I presumed it was something like he put his hand up to the camera to say “no filming”, but someone said above it was a fainting gesture. If so, how is that deemed to be aggressive, or even a police matter at that?

• Advertisement

That's because agitators have no limiting principles.

The issue is never the issue etc etc

Hopefully thread will be free of that from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement