Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor boarding in attic

Options
  • 16-12-2023 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I want to put some loft boards in a section of the attic, so I can use it for extra storage.

I was planning to use some loft boards, and use maybe some 2x4 to screw against the floor joiners and then apply the loft boards.

Is this solution ok or do I need to use loft legs ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Haha literally searched boards to come ask the same question :D

Plan to do mine week after Xmas. Doing some bits and pieces to a house we just bought and currently has like 50mm of insulation.

So I am planning to put 200mm insulation into it entirely.

Then run 2x4's across the existing joints in the opposite direction.

Then screw OSB boards in to the middle section to floor (and around where we put a Staire in). Struggling a bit to find the actual wood to use as batons on the joists. Was in Woodies today and they had everything bar what it looked like I needed.

Been looking at these from B&Q I've heard done the trick for a fair few people, I'll be getting about 25 packs !

The reason you use the 2x4 is because its a much better solution that loft legs. They never seem to last and get replaced with 2x4's according to a huge amount of info online

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Thanks TheDoc. My main concern was that we shouldn't squeeze the insulation, but the 2x4 should do the trick at least until the attic conversion in 5 or 6 years time.

I was down at B&Q today to get the boards but they were out of 2x4.

Good luck with your flooring project.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Hay lads, you should go to builders providers for your wood and fixings, DIY stores much more expensive.

TJ O Mahony, Chadwicks, Goodwins, have better prices and availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah thanks. Brother in law just said this to me last night offered to take me.

Said I’ll save a few quid.

joists in my attic aren’t very tall so trying to work out how I am going to lay the new insulation want to put 200m in but it would come way up over existing joists. And don’t want to be squeezing it where the Barton’s go over the joists

Overall by doing it myself look to be saying near 2500. Trade prices are crazy at the moment. Feel like the grants have inflated this work like crazy. Lads quoting 4k to insulate and floor my attic.

out of interest can I take old insulation into black bags down to the dump? I go to the one at the Estuary near Malahide. They normally take anything I bring but wasn’t sure if this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭geographica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jopper

Hi. Would love to know how this turned out for all of you. Planning to do something similar myself

Advertisement