Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Non Renewal - Next Level Of Investigation?

Options
  • 16-12-2023 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

The TV Licence at the address where I have been living expired last June. The licence was not in my name. The person whose name was on the licence has since died. I realise it’s the occupier they can prosecute.

The licence was not renewed or name changed. I was out of the country for a couple of months and then I thought I would see what happens if it doesn’t get renewed. Then the RTE scandal broke. I heard there has been a big fall off in licence renewals.

Truth is I rarely watch TV these days, I haven’t even switched it on for months. I fully intend to get rid of it, but an elderly relative was due to visit for an extended period and she watches all the soaps, so I kept the TV, her visit has now been postponed until next spring or summer. Also, the set top box is about 20 years old and is starting to lose channels. I don’t have an aerial so I cannot even receive RTE, I just have a dish that picks up UK channels and some Freeview ones.

So, there were numerous reminder letters. All were ignored. Then a letter warning me that an inspector was scheduled to call to the address. So I have had two licence inspectors knock on my door. I did not answer the door.

The second visit I had from an inspector did not answer the door but I noticed he went around the side of the house and into the garden, I lost sight of him, but I imagine he was trying to see if there was a TV aerial or Satellite dish mounted on the house. There is nothing visible from the front of the house, or from the road, but there is a satellite dish right at the back of the property, he may well have seen that. He would have almost had to go to the rear of the house to see it, which is blocked off by a gate, but he could have seen over the gate. The licence inspector does not know at this stage if the dish is connected or working / receiving a signal.

He left a note stating if I do not purchase a licence in the next ten days the investigation will move to the next level. Just wondering if anyone can advise what is the next level? If he has seen the satellite dish is that enough to proceed with a court appearance / summons? Or must they actually find a TV set inside on the premises. Either by the occupier allowing them access to the property or by the TV licence inspector being accompanied by Gardaí with a warrant. Is a warrant a common occurrence?

They have given me ten days to buy a licence before they go to the next level of investigation. I could do without the expense right now, if I leave it until the new year to renew the licence will my licence reminder letters still work to renew at the post office?

There is a lot of information regarding the UK situation in respect of resisting TV licences, websites, YouTube channels etc, does anyone know of any for the Irish situation? I know it’s different in the UK if you don’t watch or record live TV then you don’t actually need a licence. Over here I think if you have a TV for any reason, even if you just watch DVD’s on it, then you have to have a licence. Is that correct?

So if anyone knows what the next level of investigation is after two inspector visits and if “implied rights of access removed” applies in Ireland. I would be grateful. Thanks. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is your name on the letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take the TV out of the property, and get rid of it. Invite them in to inspect.

When and if your relative actually gets around to visiting, hire one for the week or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get rid of everything capable of receiving a signal if you have no interest in TV. Store the TV off site.

If relative comes to stay, could you get the soaps on other device?

Advertisement