Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Gigabit & TP Link Powerline Adapters

Options
  • 15-12-2023 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

Recently got Sky Gigabit into the house along with their TV package.

I use Powerline Adapters so the PS5 upstairs can be wired in. As far as I'm aware the adapters are rated to 1000mbs but at the moment I'm getting less than 100 upstairs.

I previously had Virgin 250mb and was getting speeds of 150-200 through the adapters. Nothing else has changed apart from the position of the router which shouldnt make a difference here.

Anyone know of any reason or fixes for this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can you log into the router and see what the lan speeds are for each port? A friend has got sky fibre via siro and wireless is great right next to router but move away and its pants. Trying to figure it out at moment. Used wireless only but will check lan ports next week. This is the 500mb package.

A fix would be a better router but I know sod all about sky routers so dont know how to switch them out .... yet.

Just for interest SKY provide a wireless booster, dont know cost yet, and then the install guy put router in a silly place. In a corner on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@aaronder Nothing else has changed apart from the position of the router which shouldnt make a difference here.

If the router has moved, has the homeplug it connects to been moved to a different socket or perhaps onto an extension lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aaronder

Thanks! double checked the settings and they're set to gigabit.

Yeah I had to change the socket it was plugged into - would that make a huge difference? Straight into the wall, no extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It all depends on the quality of the electrical wiring in the house. One socket's connection may be more dodgy than another.

I have particularly poor wiring in my house, most of which is from the 80's. When I used Homeplugs many moons ago, I would only ever be able to get 20-30Mbps with them.

Extension are known to cause poorer performance as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just wonder if adapters are on separate socket rings now (separate breakers in the fuse board) and this is causing issue.

Will swap sockets today and see how I get on. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

For gaming, your ping time is the most important - so keep an eye on that. Reduced download speeds will add a few extra minutes to game updates.

Now, regarding PowerLine adapters - I have had my share of these over the years. I regrettably purchased the latest and greatest of these from TP-Link (G.hn MIMO) which were rated at "2400Mbps".

In all my years of shopping on Amazon, these were the first products I've ever returned that were not physically broken.

The TP-Link application would should 300/400Mbps connections, but I never got more than 70. Worst of all they would randomly disconnect from the broadband router. This happened at least twice per day. Tried everything obvious - replacing cable, latest firmware, changing sockets. Nothing helped.

All I wanted was a modest but stable connection. I was hoping the technology would have matured by now. 🙄

Anyways, with improvments in WiFi mesh devices, I think the days of PowerLine devices are numbered. Currently getting 600Mbps in speed tests with a WiFi mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Out of interest what mesh system are you using? I'm testing some extenders and they are breaking my bls/heart

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Currently using a system from Ubiquiti Networks (Unifi) but this is definitely not for a normal home user and is expensive.

I also used Google Nest WiFi Pro, which was very good. Also recommend (if you have Eir) is their own mesh system. Definitely the most affordable and performance is good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement