Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Finances in Ireland

Options
  • 15-12-2023 11:21am

Just stemming from a discussion in another thread around the finances of the provinces, I thought a thread where details of any commercial deals etc. or other finance news pieces related to the 4 provinces would be a good idea.

I've a keen interest in the business of sport and it does kind of frustrate me that rugby is far from transparent when it comes to number.

To kick it off, Munster have secured an additional €1.2m for the Cork Centre of Excellence at Musgrave Park from the Large Scale Sports Infrastructure Fund, Connacht picked up an additional €10m for the Sportsground redevelopment and Leinster got an additional €5m for the RDS redevelopment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I agree with you, I'd love a little more transparency in this regard, not least when you constantly get harping from the basketcase English Premiership clubs whining about the finances of the provinces, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be huge clarity provided by the IRFU in this regard.

I don't expect to be told the contract values but it would be nice to have a breakdown of professional playing spend per province (including central contracts). I'm not a soccer fan but I would highly recommend the "Price of Football" podcast. They go into plenty of detail on both Premier League and EPL team finances, finance sources, commercial deals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Yeah, the Athletic do some very good stuff too on business of sport (obviously with a US-centric approach).

I agree, would love to have that detail, but I know from people who work as agents to rugby players in Ireland that that detail is exactly what they don't want them having, unfortunately.

Advertisement