Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to buy another house together after Seperation

Options
  • 15-12-2023 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has every bought another house together after separation?

We are separated, but still get on very well.

I am living in the family home and ex is renting, we would like to buy another house together, is this possible, would this be seen as an investment property?

We can sell the family home, but we both wouldn't be able to buy anything more than a 2 bed home each and we have kids so this is not possible yet, and the rent is so expensive.

Just looking for advice from anyone who has every bought a 2nd property.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

I know of people who have separated the property in two. One part is larger with children’s bedrooms and the other is a small house with kitchen, living room, two bedrooms & bathroom. Separate entrance facing opposite directions for privacy. Kids can freely call in. Would it be possible to buy a property and have this arrangement?

I also know of this arrangement with a grandmother. Works really well. In this case a large extension was built onto the back of the house with a connecting door. Entrances face in opposite directions as do windows to avoid overlooking. Grandkids move freely between the two houses. Adults tend to stay in their own properties except on invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Hi,

If you had the space would an extension work for you as well? Just create a separate kitchen, living room and two bedroom his & hers and then ye could both consider bird nesting co-parenting arrangement?

BTW I have never nor will I be buying a joint property with my ex partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cc87cc

Hi I am in the same boat ...we get on fairly well ...I'm thinking maybe using the equity of the house as a deposit for another so she can move out ...it's best I stay in the home as it is built in my father's garden ...I'd say there is roughly 400 k in equity.

Advertisement