Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuild Cost for Home Insurance

Options
  • 14-12-2023 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a house. Its a 5-bed detached house, 300m2, in county Dublin, and I have to start arranging home insurance. Rebuild costs are something that need to be specified. When I go to the scsi.ie website, which is always the recommended source for rebuild costs - they only go as far as 3/4 bed smaller houses. If I use their rebuild costs per square metre of about €2800, I get a rebuild cost of €840,000, which I'm finding it hard to believe. Yes, I know its a fairly big house we're buying, but surely it wouldn't cost as much as €840K to rebuild it? I was thinking more along the lines of €700K as the stated insurance cost for rebuild. Or should I just go with the €2800 per sqm figure?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭alexf1

When swapping mortgage recently to a different bank we had to get a building surveyor to inspect the house. He gave us the rebuild costs. They had gone up from 245k to 315k since 2018. Surveyor charged €150, normal 3 bed semi.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The problem with these calculations is that they don't take the economy of scale into account effectively.

A 100 sq m house in Dublin built for 300k absolutely does not mean a 200 sq m house will cost 600k.

Something that does have to be accounted for though is the demolition and removal costs, which are not included in new build costings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Are you getting a mortgage? If so the bank will have a valuer value it and they usually recommend an insurance value which normally goes on the loan offer.

If you are not getting a mortgage it might even be worth paying for a valuation yourself as proof you insured it accurately at the time should anything happen. The SCSI is a very blunt instrument and gives me a very inaccurate figure, my county isn't even covered and picking the closest just doesn't give a proper indication. I was lucky in that a new house was built in my estate on a long vacant site last year and I knew roughly how much it cost so went with similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Thanks guys, a valuer is coming out as part of getting mortgage, and we did have a surveyor out, so hopefully they'll give me a number.

Advertisement