Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality based self defense in Ireland

Options
  • 14-12-2023 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Is there any reality based self defense run regularly in ireland ?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

"Reality based self defence" was a bit of a thing back 15 or 20 years ago, I remember the RBSD acronym being bandied about regularly on here, but it seems to have dwindled away.

If you google Krav Maga, and self defence courses, I'm sure there are still a few people flying the flag, although it's more of a niche area.

Why has it died off? I think people are more aware these days that Geoff Thompson was right when he said that for the actual hands-on part of self-defence, it is difficult to do better than combat sports, where sparring, and training athletically, are front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know several people who do martial arts and compete internationally. They all agree that the best self defense is running away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would agree leaving a potentially dangerous situation is ideal, or de-escalating it, if not.

But of course, that's not always possible, so self-defence can't be reduced to "just run away".

You might be in your own home, or just getting out of your car, or with a child or elderly person. Running isn't always an option in every circumstance. Nor will everyone give you the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

The best defence is don't be in the situation in the first place .

I work with a guy who travelled to Japan world cup without flying . Anyway he was asked about muggings and his reply was " anytime someone gets mugged , the story usually starts with , I was drunk , I was buying drugs , I was in a brothel "

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

I remember Geoff saying he was giving people a false sense of security by teaching them a killer technique without desensitisating the adrenaline response that is enviable.to the untrained lay person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm sure that was his response. But I highly doubt its accurate.

Advertisement