Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self learning how to play Acoustic Guitar

Options
  • 13-12-2023 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently self learning how to play the guitar and am well able to play a few ballads with the normal standard chords such as G, C, D, F, Em, Am, A, Am.

However, to suit my voice a mostly play these chords with a capo.

I sometimes join some trad sessions and play a few songs however, what i find is that I sometimes get asked what key am I playing in and I am unsure of the answer when I have the capo on (and kind of feel a bit stupid not knowing)

So, just wondering does anyone have any information/advice on how to respond to this - is there a rule of thumb for example if you are playing the above chords when the capo is on the first Fret, second Fret, 3rd Fret, 4th Fret etc.

Like when capo is on 3rd fret for example - what key does the standard G become??

I hope i am making sense in what i am asking and forgive my ignorance if not.

Thanks

Advertisement