Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Chimney Liner replacement

Options
  • 13-12-2023 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Have a crack in chimney breast just above the stove. Chap who came around said the chimney liner is cracked and chimney needs relining. Said it was an insurance job and quoted 11k. Loss adjuster came around and quite readily agreed, saying he would collaborate with the builder before getting back to the insurance company. Just wondering what the general price would be for this, i.e. opening up chimney breast. scaffolding, fitting new liner, etc. Also quote included redecorating the room as it makes a mess. The loss adjuster left saying to contact him now and not the insurance company. Seems quite a cosy relationship between builder and loss adjuster.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do liners not do this Job with vermiculite filling around the edge ? I know you can reline with chemicals but should a new flexible liner not work. It certainly isn't 11 grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Keep plenty of clear blue water between the builder who quoted for the work and your insurance company / loss adjuster. The €11k is to be paid directly to you and you only, bear that in mind. Once payment is received get at least two more quotations for the job from reputable companies who specializes in this work. You are under no obligation to accept the original builders estimate but if you decide not to use him you may pay him 'a call out fee' as a gesture of good will.😊 You may also do the painting / redecoration yourself and save a few euros, bear this in mind when getting estimates. If you're not happy with the way the loss adjuster is handling your claim contact your insurance immediately.

Regarding the €11k estimate - it, on the face of it, seems steep but there are many variables. Is the house a bungalow or two/three storey, is there easy access/egress, is it on edge of busy footpath or off the beaten track etc etc. €4k to €6.5k should do the job.

Relining a chimney normally entails dropping a flexible stainless steel flue liner from top into chimney. A square hole roughly 10 inches square is opened in chimney breast just above fire place / stove to join up this new flue liner. A soot box may be fitted at this point too for ease of cleaning etc. The space between new flue liner and existing liner should be filled with vermiculite filling or similar and a rain hat must be fitted on top. It's approx two days work for two men + cost of scaffolding tower (if not a bungalow).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jaysus. Put a flue liner with vermiculite fill, wind cowl, clipped to flue stack and box and solid piping below for around 400 euro on my parents (myself) about 7 years back.

It was a few hours work 2 storey semidetached typical 70s build.

Some gas lads charging that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

It is a bungalow and off road on it's own so no access issue. I wondered what scaffolding is involved. His estimate didn't mention a flexible steel cylinder liner which is what I thought was required.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

The loss adjuster came back with an offer of 9k, of which 6.5k was for chimney work, the remainder for redecoration, etc. Got a similar quote from a different specialized company since so might go with them instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gilly43

Cost varies regionally but €11k isn’t outrageous for full reline.

Wouldn’t read too much into loss adjuster knowing the builder or seeming “cosy”……..in a lot of areas it’s the same builders doing a lot of these jobs and the same adjusters they meet or quote to week in week out. It’s becomes a normal working relationship…..

Plus relining a chimney in a bungalow for example will, to within a few hundred quid, cost around the same depending on room size for decor etc

Advertisement