Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal Frame connection using I joists

Options
  • 13-12-2023 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Garage roof , 4m span, which will have a 5% slope from the firring pieces in the other thread!, so no serious loads.

Just wondering if you think the 600 sql piece is big enough

Ply will be glued and screwed as will the web filler

Will fit full depth noggins using the I joist off cuts and roof will be sheeted with OSB 3

All suggestions welcome

will probably fit a further piece between the ply along the 45 degree

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Need more input.

Your drawing shows an I beam sitting on, well I am not sure. But whatever it is, there are no attachment details of the horizontal beam attachment to the verticals. The stiffeners are probably big enough, but we dont know the roof slope, nor size, nor spacings of each portal frame.

Its impossible to say whether its ok or not without that info. As for the loads. I think you may have forgotten a serious load. As for the slope, I assume its 5 degrees which is virtually flat, and given that we are into adverse weather conditions in the future, if there is a good snowfall the 6" of snow over 16 square metres of wet snow could potentially give you up to 1 1/2 tons additional weight.

So you need more info and post it on the construction forum for an engineers input.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks as always

The adverse weather is expected to be warmer winters and wetter summers.

I have design tables and connection details for the I beams which I have used.

I suppose i was just wondering if anyone had done this and had an practical suggestions

Am usuing the s60 by 300

I do acknowledge your contribution.

In passing

Any thoughts on where I might buy bolts by the box, say 100 at 100 mm between head and bolt fully threaded

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Strange that there is no detail for joist on column, as they have covered all other details. And they do recommend an engineers input in some of the design criteria.

Is there an engineer on board at the moment, or will there be, as they would be calculating in a snow load in the calculations, as it would have a major impact on a very low flat roof, which is what it is. Failing that ask the question on the construction forum, as its frequented by engineers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Advertisement