Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas breakfast

Options
  • 13-12-2023 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Inspired by the Christmas dinner thread...

I make a chocolate star bread for Christmas morning breakfast (dough made the night before, assembled and put in the over after stockings are emptied, before other presents are given out), and while I'd be forever disowned if I didn't make it, I'm wondering what else I might do to keep everyone going until turkey soup at 1. (I suspect this may be the last year of the kids getting up at the crack of dawn)

What do other people do for Christmas breakfast? I remember my Dad always cooking a full fry, but I don't think I could be doing that - especially as I'll be the one doing most of the cooking for the rest of the day (husband is in charge of vegetable preparation and keeping the cook well stocked with drinking material).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We usually try have a fry. But it's a lot to manage and keep an eye on on a very distracting morning. We also usually have family call over to see the kids that morning. So this year I'm going to do some pancakes. My eldest has decided its our Sunday morning tradition... So might aswell use it for Christmas Day too. At least they will eat them without any bother and it's filling till dinner around 2.30. It takes time but at least it's all cooked together in one go and the batter easily adjusted if there's anyone extra that wants some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I will have

starter - porridge with whiskey,

main - sausages, rashers, fried egg, piece or 2 of fried pork steak, fried tomato, batch bread toasted on one side, the soft side slathered in real butter. tea

dessert - more tea. chocolate kimberly

not sure what the rest of the family will have...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Freshly baked croissants and pain au chocolate for Mrs Billy and my boys. The lads will probably also have hot chocolate.

I'll probably kick off the day with just a coffee, then a few slices of spiced beef and a finger or two of sherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lindy123

I think it depends how you eat the rest of the year, and what you consider might be a treat for Christmas.

We eat healthy most of the time, so for Christmas 'brunch' - anytime between getting up and serving dinner - we have lots of tea, coffee with cream, and French pastry type products such as croissants, pain au chocolate, and brioche. Buy all freshly made the day before (or raw dough versions) and heat that morning.

All this is low stress, and filling - even if not healthy. Shop-made pancakes also handy. All of above can be served with fresh fruit eg berries, to add some nutrition. Kids can add toppings to the pancakes - maple syrup, nutella, fruit etc. Or even bacon rashers go well with all of the above.

If you're cooking the rest of the day, you need low-stress in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Know a B & B where they offer Baileys as an option with the porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've always found the popular idea of a fried breakfast on Christmas day to be completely bonkers considering how much food lies ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It can be. All best intentions in my house are that we get a walk in on Christmas morning, but sure that rarely happens and then the excessive breakfast doesn't get digested like it should and then you're not exactly starving for dinner either... and don't touch the nuts before dinner either, otherwise we'll be having turkey leftovers for 4 days...

Maybe a bit of smoked salmon with poached/scrambled eggs and a bit of bread might do them for breakfast this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Depends on the timing as well.

As kids, we'd get breakfast, then head to mass, back home to shtick the dinner on, then we'd go visiting relatives and friends etc. Depending on how many we'd bump into, we'd not be sitting down for the full dinner some years until 5-6pm. That's a long auld stretch, especially if you're up at the crack of dawn to open pressies.

My wife's brother-in-law, they have dinner at 12.30pm every Xmas day, which is bananas to me.

Brekkie: Fry, tea/coffee, toast, homemade sausage rolls, few Quality Street (although they've gone crap in recent years).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My wife's brother-in-law, they have dinner at 12.30pm every Xmas day, which is bananas to me.

What the **** is wrong with some people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Definitely a fry up around 10. Not a huge feast though - only 3 of us. Dinner is not until 4 so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My sister-in-law's family always ate at 1 sharp. When she'd join us later after they'd all wrapped up, we'd only be finishing our main course!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They're the sort of people who deserve to get coal in their stockings.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Smoked salmon and scrambled egg with clementine juice bucks fizz (GALLONS of bucks-fizz in the years when we used to go to the in-laws for lunch, where Schloer was the acceptable accompanying beverage and so there was need to "pre-load"). My wife would have a fry, but I do not want soda bread, potato farls, wheaten, and a side of bloody Veda, four-and-a-bit hours before Christmas lunch. (Actually I do not want soda bread, wheaten, or Veda, at any time of the year - Welsh breakfast every time).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Tea and 4 slices of toast. Same every day of the year. Dinner around 4. Would be earlier if I was working Christmas night but this year it's my one night off so all good😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

(It's not really but I had to once the idea popped into my head)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'll make myself french toast with a bourbon maple sauce with pecans. (brioche often made a couple days before for birthday french toast. He'll eventually eat some breakfast of some sort. Dinner rarely before three.

In the before times, at my mother's house, it was rashers/sausages grilled up with some brennans and butter and whatever coffee was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

Dunnes have frozen cinnamon swirls. Might do pancakes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Eggs Benedict.

Lovely runny eggs in toast with rashers wedges and hollandaise and ketchup.

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have champagne while opening presents at like 8am, so I usually skip breakfast. Then have cheese and port at around 11.

I definitely couldn't be eating a fry in the morning.

Dinner is usually around 2, but we draw it out. Could be an hour or more between courses depending on the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Full Irish with mimosas here. We don't have dinner til 7ish so the big early feed is definitely needed.

Well, I say full Irish but we don't do pudding, beans or mushrooms so maybe not quite as full as otherseseses.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Sausages

Advertisement