Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation in Ireland on investments, year end planning

Options
  • 13-12-2023 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

How long can the losses from selling stocks be deducted? When do they expire, I have losses this year, I can carry over for next year?

Any other kind year end taxation planning for stocks/investments that is good to do in Ireland?

Do I need to report all my stock trades from DeGiro to Revenue or when I should report.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Capital losses never expire; you can carry them forward indefinitely from year to year, but you can't carry them back to previous years.

They can only be offset against capital gains; you can't use them to reduce your liability to income tax.

You do need to report your gains and losses to the Revenue each year, even if they don't result in any CGT liability (e.g. because they are losses). The deadline for making a CGT return for any year is 31 October in the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Payments for CGs are due on 15th December and 31st Jan.

Make sure you use up all of your allowance every year on gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GambleIreland

Thanks guys. Could not figure, why we have 2 different dates and what is the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The due date for payment depends on the date on which the gain accrued (i.e. the date on which you disposed of the asset).

If you dispose of an asset on any date between 1 January and 30 November, any CGT payable is due by 15 December in the same year.

If you dispose of an asset on any date between 1 December and 31 December, then any CGT payable is due by 31 January in the next year.

Advertisement