Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy: Should we ban / control cats?

Options
  • 12-12-2023 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

I've read bits over the years about how damaging that cats are to the environment; this article has only highlighted it more starkly.

Given the amount of destruction they're responsible for shouldn't the Greens / conservation lobby be pushing for control / eradication of the feline destroyers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I for one welcome our new feline overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Hungry Burger

I’d say the pest species they prey on ie rats, mice, shrews etc cause a lot more environmental damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Banning / killing cats didn’t work so well on Macquarie Island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It’s simple really.

Domestic cats kept on their owner’s property are fine.

Feral cats should be destroyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Earth24

Apparently that is because they didn't eradicate the rabbits, so the rabbits (also invasive) population exploded after the cats were gone and the rabbits ate too much vegetation. I can't post links yet but Ref New York Times from 2009.

However apparently rabbits have been eradicated since, Guardian article from 2022 suggests things have improved since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think this plan is pure cat

Advertisement