Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertical rad issues in bathroom

Options
  • 11-12-2023 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

hi there, hopefully someone can offer some insights...

Bought a double panel vertical rad as part of my bathroom refit. This one -> https://www.sonasbathrooms.com/en/amura-elliptical-double-panel-1800-x-360-heated-towel-rail-white.html

I also upgraded my 10+ year old Ideal gas boiler to a new Bosch i24. All worked great for couple of weeks. Bathroom rad got 100% very hot in 20 minutes. Now, few weeks on it basically gets roasting hot at the top quarter only, and takes longer to heat up. The middle of the rad is warm/hot (inconsistant) and it's cooler towards the bottom half. Sometimes one or two of the 6 front tubes are cool for most of their lenght also.

The boiler installer said these vertical rads are notorious for developing air pockets. My system is a single pipe system (old house). And there is a gravity feed tank in the attic. It used to be an open system but he said he closed it as part of the boiler upgrade to avoid any air getting into system.

Is there anything I can do other than replace a 600+ euro 12 tube vertical rad that's a couple of months old with a traditional smaller single panel. Very annoying it does not heat 100%. I wonder if the built in circulating pump in the Bosch i24 is not powerful enough for a big rad like that? Although as I said, it heated perfectly for a few weeks - so I am stumped.

All other 9 rads in the house all still heat within 15 minutes and get very hot. It's only a problem with this vertical one. Any ideas or thoughts on these vertical rads? Can they ever work properly without a fully pressurised system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could be build up of sludge or something.

Be worth taking it off the wall to see.

Where do the pipes connect? Both at bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Have you tried to bleed it? Assuming it can be bleed

Could be a build up of air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Yep both pipes at bottom. System was flushed and inhibitor added as part of boiler upgrade so should be clean.

Yep only water covered it when bleed valve opened. No air.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can't see how it can be anything other that sludge. I'd certainly be having it removed and drained to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wouldn't replace it at all. Vertical rads are perfectly fine. Like and radiator sludge or air will cause this. Madness changing it.

I'd isolate it. Take it outside and run a hose through it. Giving it taps with a rubber mallet.

Refit then bleed it a few times.

Don't replace it!

Thanks for that comments and advice guys. I'll hold off on anything drastic (replacing) and will at the very least take it off and flush it etc. the system was flushed for the first time in ten years recently during the boiler upgrade so sludge may have deposited in the vertical rad etc. Will update when I get around to it in January. Thanks again 🙏

I had tried to bleed it before and turned the screw and only a bead of water appeared. I tried again last week and turned it more, a good half turn, and a very high pressure hissing of air and some light spray of water lasted ten seconds then hissing stopped. I closed the screw. Since then the vertical rad heats 100% and quickly too. I've used the heating 4 or 5 times since end we are all sorted. All rads heating perfectly. I guess some residual air in the system had found it's way into the vertical rad since the boiler change. All good now. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice one always good to give an update. Enjoy the Christmas.

Advertisement