Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVHR Woes

Options
  • 11-12-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I had a MVHR system installed while renovating and extending an old farmhouse this year. I'm not very happy with the system and have a few questions maybe someone can help me with as i've been doing a bit of reading lately.

Should I have received a commissioning report from the installer ?. I see mention in other posts of flow rates and balancing the system, none of which I feel was done by the installer, certainly not while I was around.

Digging around in the attic this week I see there is a plenum above one of the bedrooms (Blaufast RPZ 125/75x2) so 2 inputs and pipe going down to vent in ceiling and one of the inputs has no pipe connected to it or no blanking plate so effectively it's like the ceiling vent has a direct route to the attic space, surely this is completely wrong. I assume as it's just a feed to a bedroom that yeah there might be just one pipe going to it but surely the other input side should be blanked off or something.

I've had them back out as the system was very noisy and they turned down the normal fan speed but it is still noisy in the office where I work so still annoying, and herself can't sleep with any humming noises.

Been looking at those foam noise dampeners for sale, would they be any use?

System is a VentAxia Sentinel Kinetic, will get the exact model number tomorrow when I get up to the attic again.

Any advice appreciated before I get back onto the installers so I can ask the right questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Biker1

Looks like it was not designed, installed or commissioned correctly. This is so common even in new builds. If there is a NSAI Ventilation Validator in your area it would be worth getting them to have a look. Check the NSAI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Thanks Biker1, I was chatting to the guy who installed the Air to Water System and he said a lot of people are jumping on the Heat Recovery bandwagon and installing systems in houses. This guy was recommended to me by a neighbour who had them install a system for them, seems not to be a good job, the basics are there but as you say I fear the design part was overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Sounds like a cowboy job. We have a Vent Axia and are delighted with it, we dont hear a thing. Ours runs at 20/23% speed and isnt audible at all(we have ours downstairs in the living space)

There defiantly shouldn't be airflow into your attic.

Get them back to finish the job, also the system will need to be rebalanced/commissioned after the plenum is fixed. I would demand the commissioning report as this should be standard on all installs. Our engineer even required it before our final drawdown on a new build.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement