Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free VPN

Options
  • 11-12-2023 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure where this should go... Mods move if required.

Are " free vpn " really free ??

Sone seem to be timed.

Are the free ones any better than the bought ones ?

Any you would recommend.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rbanffy

If all you need is privacy (and can tolerate a performance hit) I'd suggest going either with Tor Browser (which is a hardened version of Firefox) or installing a "Tor Proxy" software on some computer in your house (I use a Raspberry Pi for that, but I also have a local version running on my laptop). For it to work with a normal browser, you'll have to set up the browser to use the Tor proxy as a Socks proxy. There are tutorials for it on most platforms. Depending on your platform, you might have different browsers set up in different ways, so some will access the web via Tor and the others will use it via your own internet connection directly.

With Tor, you don't have much control from where you'll appear to be browsing, as it uses exit nodes all over the place.

Tor is designed for activists in places where their governments might want to jail or murder them for saying what they need to say, so it's reasonably robust (a VPN provider will gladly provide all their logs to law enforcement under whatever jurisdiction they operate). Just don't bet your life on it.

Tor networks are extremely slow, but it’s fun looking at where you are being routed… sometimes via Moscow 😱

Complete private browsing can be had using a Tails USB stick, an operating system that “forgets” everything once powered off. Your perfect privacy companion, Open Source, free. You should also use a VPN. Using Bridges (open source download) you can further enhance escaping any detection of your browsing… the Bridges being a bridge over the “sea of detection” to the Tor network. Ought really to be called Tunnels imo!

Plenty of free VPNs out there, but your traffic is channelled through the entities that operate them, not always offering the privacy you might want.

The paid VPNs tend to offer the privacy you might want. NordVPN always tends to be best rated.

I personally use ProtonVPN which is free.

Advertisement