Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old sneaking treats

Options
  • 10-12-2023 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Our 7 year old appears to be sneaking treats on an ongoing basis. Not a week goes by that we don't find wrappers or crumbs under the bed or couch. Giving out or talking to her in a calm manner makes no difference and promises to not re offend holds no water.

We are hesitant of removing the treat box up in the press in the kitchen in case this creates more cravings and makes the situation worse by her finding other ways to get sugar (from the sugar bowl directly or from cordial etc).

What has worked for you and would you advise we visit a nutritionist / dietician for a 2:1 with us as parents? We are based in Dublin.

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I generally didn't do anything and it worked, they've become a very grounded well behaved person in the end, doesn't even have a sweet tooth anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not a good idea to have the treat box in easy access. You need to control the temptation to raid it.

I have a son special needs and had the same problem.

I usually try too give treat after dinner or tea ect.

I give smaller amounts for example break a biscuit in half or into 4 and give .

Give a half pack of chips at a time making sure to leave the empty packet a second time so he knows its finished.

As far as dietician ect are concerned, you as parents have to take charge charge doesn't matter if the child is special needs or not. If its affecting the child medically ie obesity ect they would definitely point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Never had a treat box, never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Replace the word treats with pills. Would you still just leave them there hoping she'd cop on and decide for herself she needs to stop?

The more she eats them the more she'll crave them. Put the treats somewhere she can't get them. (likewise any other unhealthy foods).

I'm not sure what you expect a dietician to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Maybe the issue is you're putting treats on a pedestal ie making a big deal about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ok cheers folks, some interesting points there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

There's a few things here.

Some people advocate not having a treat box and just not making a big deal out of treats. Have them in your cupboards, in easy reach, and just educate your kids that it might taste good but ultimately it makes you unhealthy, stops you sleeping properly, and basically makes you feel down. That way it isn't this fantastic reward, and it reducing the dopamine levels you get when you achieve a goal.

I think that is fine in theory, but I don't think it takes into account how different people react to sugar or simple carbohydrates. Even if you don't make a big deal out of dessert or treats, some children (and adults) will still get a larger than normal "hit" of dopamine after eating these foods. Your brain then sees this as an easy route to dopamine, and sort of forgets about the other ways it can get that natural hit.

I'd go cold turkey for two or three weeks. Maybe not this close to Christmas, and maybe not right after either. Sometime near the end of January is always good. Dump the remainder of the Christmas treats, and just have nothing junky in your house at all for three weeks. During that time look for other ways to boost the happy hormone levels in your kid. Outdoor walks (they won't want to go, but they will get endorphins from it), proper sleep, maybe watching something they choose together on the tv, something like that. The adults can always go off and buy a treat at the shops and eat it. But it'll be good for you guys too.

Then when the three weeks is up, tell your kid what you are going to buy in the shops. Explain (pictures help) what is one portion of that particular junk food. You decide how many portions of that junk food they get a week. They decide when they get it. Give them a reward chart and tell them if they can resist dipping in to get more over the next however many weeks, they get a (non-food) reward.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Kids have been in the biscuit tin since the dawn of biscuit tins!

I'm not sure a dietitian is required. It's not like your child is malnourished. She's just eating tasty things that are in easy reach for her. She's 7. I have teenagers and we have to hide any biscuits/bars that come into the house because if we don't they generally don't make it from the shopping bag to the press!

Your options are stop buying treats. Or hide them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would be looking at the behaviour separately to what is actually being hidden. Itd not about the treats. Presumably you have set a boundary in terms of when and how much treats your kid can have, and they are not adhering to the boundary. At 7, you should be able to discuss this with your child discussing trust, lying etc. In my house we don't demonise treats, I will often give little bits of sweets/ cake etc. on the same plate as their main meal so treats don't have as big a meaning. My kids understand that sweet foods aren't nutritious so don't make you grow/ build muscle/ run fast etc. We refer to them as "fun foods" and other food is "energy food". We talk about how fun food ia okay but only if you have loaded up on energy food first. Kids Eat In Colour is a great Instagram page to follow regarding this sort of stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have a 7 year old and if I turn my back (which I did last night!) She'd have half a box of biscuits gone.

And then my older girl tells on her!

I would not be worried about dieticians.I like the idea about her deciding when she gets her treats,and you showing her what will be bought, as suggested.For our lot they know they get a biscuit after dinner (not contingent on "cleaning your plate" or similar), and 2 jellies on pick up from our minder.

Interestingly, my youngest (5) has an apple addiction!I was buying extra to replace what he ate but then I stopped, and suddenly he is pacing his own apple eating (if I eat another, it's still 3 days til the shopping comes and I'll have none for 3 days"....logic)

I would keep the treats box high up out of reach though.It's a no brainer in our house.But equally my rule is if you eat them all, I won't be buying any more til our weekly shopping comes and even at that, I might buy less.You as the adult are in control of how these things come into the house though, 7 year olds still have very little impulse control and we all react in a personal way to chocolate and sugar. So help her out there.Educate her, allow her a small bit every day (would she like a biscuit or sweet after her dinner), keep them out of reach and say very little about them otherwise

• Advertisement
Advertisement