Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up roller blinds in the reveal - Help

Options
  • 10-12-2023 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some challenges I am having putting up blinds that would really appreciate any advice on.

1. Firstly, I was going to use the Self Drill platerboard like this: Diall Self drill Plasterboard Cavity plug (Dia)13mm (L)32mm, Pack of 25 | DIY at B&Q but the platerboard is only 9.5mm and the warm board 20mm so it means it won't work because 32mm is greater than 29.5mm and because the warm board is attached to the brick.
    2. Next option, in the reveal of the window, I drill through warm board and use rawl plugs that will stick in the brick. First of all I tried these Fisher Hammer Rawl plugs: Fischer Countersunk Hammer fixing (L)60mm (Dia)6mm, Pack of 15 | DIY at B&Q but found when you tried to screw it in, the head of the screw stripped too easily so I changed I used this product instead: Diall Mushroom Hammer fixing (L)60mm (Dia)6mm, Pack of 20 | DIY at B&Q. They were a little bit better but not much better. The heads on them also broke too easily. In both cases I was using the screws that came with the pack? Do I need a stronger screw or are my doing something wrong?
    3. These are both hammer fixings - have I missed something obvious here. Thinking now, I should have been hammering in the the screw and then at end screwed it and no wonder why the head split so easily?
    4. The drill holes need to go on both sides of the reveal. But right up in the corner. It's practically impossible to drill here in a straight line because of the size of the drill. You have to drill at an angle. A smaller drill won't work because it won't be powerful enough to drill through the concrete - so is this my only option, drill at an angle? Could I get a a longer drill bit or something?
    5. The drill bit size I used was 6mm. I presume this is correct for 6mm plug? I should go up or down a size?
    6. Screw driver make. The screw driver I was using is some cheap thing I got in argos 10 years ago. Are my better off just upgrading and getting proper set? If so any recommendations?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi Tim,

I installed blinds in a reveal, also into insulated plasterboard, last year.

I used standard red rawl plugs but I drilled with a 6mm bit instead of 6.5mm and then tapped the plugs in solidly; two per side. The screws used were just longer than the plug too so that the legs opened out. It's solid and not going anywhere.

They went in at a slight angle alright, but that's fine so that the load is distributed well into the plasterboard.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

+1 to the above.

Presumably this is a roller blind with the string, rather than one you physically pull on.

Rawl plugs will do the job easily, no need for anything more elaborate. There'll be practically no weight on the blinds at all as they're opened with the rotating mechanism rather than physical force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi Folks,

So some success. First thing I was doing wrong was the wrong screw head. What I was using needed a PZ2 which can look like a philips head but isn't.

So I just bought a PZ2 screwdriver with a long handle so that it was easier to use getting a screw into a corner. The other thing I did was buy a longer drill bit. I got one 150mm in length meaning it was much easier to drill into the corner.

Pozidrive (PZ) is a lot more common here than Phillips in my experience. I think the only time I see Phillips head is plasterboard screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I think a lot of dopes like me can't tell the difference and use the wrong screwdriver.

• Advertisement

PZ has the very small 2nd cross at a 45 degree angle to the main cross in the head of the screw. Easiest way to tell.

Advertisement