Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow USB transfer speeds

Options
  • 09-12-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So i have been having this problem for quite some time that i just cant resolve.

When i copy a file of maybe 2-3gb to a usb stick, or usb HDD the file transfer will drop down from a steady 80mb's to between 30-40mb's and just stay there or sometimes drop down to 5.

This also happens if i try and move approximately 50gb folders of files.

I have changed performance settings for the drives in Device manager, tried disabling the auto tune feature, Turned off Remote Differential Compression. Disabled Drive Indexing to no avail.

Also checked all Mobo chipset/software is up to date

I have tested with multiple Sandisk usb sticks, and several powered and unpowered HDD but its always the same

I am currently on Windows 11, but it has been happening on windows 10 also

Asus TUF B450

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Feels like i have been through all troubleshooting steps i can find via google but i just cat fix it, Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What USB? is it 2 , 3 ?

When you say "usb HDD" you mean HDD or is it SSD ?

When you say "mb's" you mean MB/s ?

depend on how you answer above - your speeds might well be "normal". 30-40MB/s is pretty much top for USB2

You not expecting your speeds to be like "theoretical max" USB speed, do you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lostinthefog

, USB 3.0 and USB 2

I have several of thge ultra fast sandisk USB's and they all have the same problem.

Yes MB/s

Speeds are definetely not not normal, occassionally the transfer will begin at over 200 mb/s and then just drop off a cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kirani

Generally, all drives, USB, HDD, SSD and so on, have the so called "buffer memory" or "cache". So when you start copying, this cache is filled with data and is transferred quickly first. Then the device will have to read from the drive memory itself, so you will see a drop in speed. If you see a big drop in speed, this usually means you're copying a big number of small files which will be obviously slower that copying one big file. If you see this behaviour with big files, then you might wanna check your drive for errors or defragment it.

Advertisement