Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Assist

Options
  • 09-12-2023 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Small sheep farmer, 120 ewes and heavily dependant on the farm payments. Working off farm 2 days a week. Would I be eligible for a farm assist payment, do many farmers draw down this money? Would there be many hoops to go through to get the money? Application form seems straightforward enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭green daries

A friend of mine who had to stop working for a couple of years to be around for looking after the kids when his wife got sick got farm assit eventually. But it took a bit to get it you'd be assessed through your income etc etc is what I remember........it wasn't alot of good at the time anyway money wise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I suggest that you contact your local Citizens Information centre. They are very helpful and will talk you through the process and advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Silverdream

I got it before, the assessment is different to the assessment for ordinary welfare. They need to see that you really are a farmer, you have stock etc. Then they'll look at your sfp and take that along with any other schemes you. At the time I was in reps and the 1st €5000 of that payment was disregarded idk is it the same for the sfp, I didn't have one at the time. I ended up getting close to what I'd have gotten if I was getting the "dole". Best part of the Farm assist is it is not taken as an income for your tax returns unlike dole or stamps. Whole process took about 12 weeks before I got paid but it was backdated to your application date.

Forget about citizens info, they don't have much knowledge of this scheme and you'll end up being delt with by a college intern who could leave you waiting for information. Best thing is to go direct to the local welfare office and make an appointment to see the welfare officer that deals with the farm assist. Most of them are helpful and they'll soon let you know what you are entitled to.

Post edited by Silverdream on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

IFA have an online calculator which might give a rough idea if you qualify and what you're entitled to.

Like most online stuff from the ifa I don't know how up to date it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

I don't know how accurate this is, but a lad explained farm assist to me once... He said, the max payment from it is the same amount as the dole. For him being single, that would have been something around €200. They go through your accounts, expenses and assets when you apply for farm assist. They might, for example, determine that your income from the farm and what you own is worth €80 per week. So, on that basis they pay you €120 a week, to bring your income up to the €200. His conclusion was that on farm assist, he would be on the same income as someone on the dole, but he'd be working 7 days a week to achieve it........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On a counter balance the first 5k of acres/Glas is disallowed for income purposes. I presume a portion of phone, electricity phone and car expenses are allowed for as well as other expenses. So they would better off in real terms than someone just on unemployment benefit.

As well they may be putting up an A stamp which qualifies them for the contributory OAP which is not means tested

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

I had a mate on it and for 4 years was not putting on a stamp as citizen advice told him was same as jobseekers and would automatically be done for him.

That was incorrect information and unlike UK you cant claim them back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s not just the initial means test. Folk are means tested every 1-2 years to ensure eligibility. I’ve seen folk knocked down to getting less than €10 a week.

for those on low assessed payments the Rural Social Scheme is an option. Lads on small holdings might have the time to do the 19hrs a week and their payments are brought back up to a minimum of €225/week plus a full stamp on, It’s not for everyone but an option.

Post edited by _Brian on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I know a couple of farmers on that scheme and they enjoy it. It gets them away from the farm and meeting other people. Around here they maintain the graveyards, playgrounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Silverdream

they usually look for you to do those schemes but you can avoid them if you are signed up to some form of an online course such as those from Solas or even a springboard course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rural Social Scheme is only for low income farmers and is 100% voluntary. It’s considered an income support so there’s no training expectation, no expectations that you will move on to a job, providing you stay eligible you aren’t limited to how long you stay on.

Advertisement