Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting someone else to do my taxes

Options
  • 08-12-2023 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

I know that I can make my own return using a Form 11 but I would like to engage a service to take a look at my taxes top to bottom to see that I have everything set up the right way (allowances between my wife an I, etc.) and that I am claiming for everything. I was out of work for a number of months this year, I have two kids in college.

Should I look at the likes of www.taxback.com to do this? What kind of percentage to they take?

What's the best way to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Assuming things are reasonably simple, either post the details here or on AAM.

The contributors will check for you.

If you have a buisness, multiple properties, etc., then things are more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Well, what I put above is mostly it.

I didn't work for 5 months this year and 2 last year

2 kids in college

Not sure how best to spread credits between my wife and I - she works part time.

Stock options but I have paid the PAYE on them but have not sold them

Not sure what else I am entitled to claim for? - WFH?, Bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First of all, why are you using Form 11, that is a more complex form.

Form 12 is easier.

Is there some reason to use Form 11?

Bins = no.

WFH = yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's very simple to do the return via MyAccount on revenue.ie. All your options are there. The hardest thing is gathering all the info like health receipts etc etc which you'll still need to do if you pay an accountant.

You might as well try the online form first, if only to educate yourself. It's an excellent service to be honest.

If you still have a load of unanswered questions, and complex tax affairs, then an accountant might be best to get you started for your first year. Then after that just do it yourself.

You can also ask questions etc online to revenue rather than hanging on a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Presumable it's the stock options which see you doing the F11 instead of 12.

Look for a local accountant to review things for you. Don't go yo taxback.com IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agree with above. There are lots of other accounts companies that will change you a flat fee per hour.

I do my own Form 11 return on account of a property I let. It’s a cumbersome form to wade through to check you have everything covered and no omissions. I look forward to next year being the last, I hope, of having to use it. I set up a spreadsheet for myself to calculate the messy business of calculating health expenses after making claims for day-to-day expenses to VHI, and this takes some practice Athenian out of it. I hate a landlord spreadsheet set up to accord with Form 11 return requirements, so it takes that much work out of it.

Advertisement