Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts of what to get on a specific budget and usecase

Options
  • 07-12-2023 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭

ive asked this in the bargain ev thread and probably correctly asked to create a thread so sorry to those who “politely” answered

up to last year, my commute was 120km per day. i have a 520d 2012 - has been very good, very few issues. now at 250k km. its going to need about 2-2.5k of work if i want to keep going. 

however, i now only do 50km per day to work and back, and i have free charging at *work*. common sense tells me an ev would be good, but my budget is at 18-20k cash + the 520d. its got nct, every is working fine at the moment - diesel is costing me between 160-200 per month.

what are people's thoughts? the ones i am considering is the id3, the egolf and the i3. the last 2 - i wonder if its worth it as i will need to keep the car for about 3-5 years depending on how our finances improve.

the worry i have for the i3 and egolf is they are end of life and what kind of resale if at all will they have when ill move on. Theyll be older, less parts and range isnt great.

im still worried re the egolf as if it only does 120km in winter, thats really not good as if i cant manage to charge nearly daily im goosed. Id love its executive interior though and wish the id3 had that.

leaves the id3. Range ok, specs can be ok apart from seats but i heard its still glitchy? Price wise its in what i can afford but id say value will tank more.

is it worth waiting for january and see if prices drop more and more stock appears?

oh we have a 231 Y RWD - so we're good for family size and range i believe (we dont really go that far that often). id rather avoid the leaf and the koreans. (my wife wont let me). since ive had 8 bmws in succession, im worried about my ego and luxury under my bum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

Any of those or E-Golf:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest, and I'll get a lot of push back against this, but a Leaf would do the job perfectly well for you, and we'll within your budget.

The fact that most of your charging could be done at work, for free, is perfect. The km aren't as issue for a new generation 40kw car. It'll handle your daily needs ok.

People will argue about chademo being phased out etc but that will be mostly irrelevant to you.

Take a look at a Leaf, see what you think. Good solid car which is often written off on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭User1998

Why not get a 2019 Tesla Model 3? You already have a Tesla in the house so it would fit in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

As you're looking at hatchbacks, 2nd hand Cupra Born or new MG4.

Forget about the eGolf, waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

Lads i appreciate the responses.

my wife will not let me in a japanese car - end of. im not gonna argue with her - so leaf, and by extension konas are out.

@User1998 - id love one. but they are not going to be available under 29k, let alone 25k.

@crl84 - similar story - borns are still rare enough that 2nd hand they are 32k, and mg4.... (nothing under 28k)

that really leaves me with the id3. why not egolf? im assuming its because of the range?

• Advertisement

@Basilio golf not a bad idea. i can get a newer more techy 2019 onwards within my budget, but is it worth getting them, when the range is the lowest, and in 4 years time, worth absolutely nothing?

the B class - i think there are massive issues when they break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm sorry but why not a japanese car? Or Korean for that fact? Well established and trusted car manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭User1998

Why not sell your car privately and you should have close to €30k to play with? You’ll get a Model 3 private sale for €25k after Christmas.

Im not sure a 2012 520d with 250k km is going to sell easily.

needs a service, 4 tyres and tracking and does have 1 little loose rattle in window passenger side. Thats not going to sell for 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

I would not touch Chinese, some don't like Koreans. Before owning Ioniq for two years and now Kona also had prejudice against them. Still not convinced with Tesla (this statement will not be welcomed by many, sorry)

E-golf might be a future classic if you get a clean example

• Advertisement

Im not disagreeing. In a way i prefer my f10 to the Y. Wife wanted tesla, thank god the y came in or else would have wanted an X. My eyes water. @Basilio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

eGolf is like a eUp or 1st generation Mini Electric, or Honda E. Only worth it if you can live with short range. Fun as though they are I think your commute needs something with a better range.

The early ID3s are failing in price close to the ballpark of an eGolf. Personally I don't love the touchscreen or the interior. (eGolf is far nicer inside) But I would live with those ID3 quibbles as you can't argue with the range and charging speed and the tech. You'd be getting higher mileage example though.

Leaf is better range also. Also failing in price.

I think the eGolf will still be of value to someone doing short journeys. Especially as a second car. It's like a larger more premium more practical eUP. For those who like a traditional car experience. It will be niche though.

People chase range in an EV when many don't need it. But the OP needs half decent range.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could try to get one of the higher spec early ID.3 models. Tech/max or tour. Ours replaced a ( very old) Mercedes. Extremely happy with it. We’ve had no issues.

Cant really find a max or tour within budget. Have only seen 1st pro or 1st plus thats any decent in terms of specs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

120ah i3 would seem to fit well. Bonus is it's nice to drive, which can't be said as easily for a lot of non-Tesla EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

E-golf might be a future classic if you get a clean example

Nope can't see it. To be a classic it needs to be something special that did not sell well. The e-Golf certainly is not anything special. It's not even a ground up ev it was a hatch job.

Besides people who buy or drive classic ir future classic cars are people who can afford to have a car sitting up in a shed or garage abd barely ever drive it. I doubt the OP is one of them.

@OP How about a Renault Zoe? Never mind the safety rating they are perfectly safe is you find a good one if it's big enough for you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

"To be a classic it needs to be something special that did not sell well" Lot of mundane stuff in vintage market these days. Beauty (or classic) is in the eye of the beholder. That said its not a good reason to buy an EV that doesn't suit your commute.

Advertisement