Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Data Breach

Options
  • 07-12-2023 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I've gotten two letters from the HSE over the last two years saying that my data has been breached and that my name and mobile number has been taken. However I don't trust that this is the only two pieces of data that has been stolen given that I am a HSE employee. HSE obviously have my banking details which I get paid into etc not to mention a lot of other data that comes with being an employee. What should and can I do to protect myself from potential scams? Getting calls every week from scammers and it's getting tedious not to mention annoying. Refuse to change my number. Changing my name would be a bit drastic. Already changed my banking. Also is there anything I can do to take the HSE to task re the data breach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I work in information security. Everyone is getting calls and texts every week from scammers, it's a random thing.

If they say that only name and number was compromised then you're lucky, millions of people have much worse compromised by private enterprise all the time but it doesn't make the news and there's no comeback either.

Change your moblie number if you really want to, but that's probably an overreaction. Change banking etc. passwords but that's probably an overreaction too.

If I can give anyone one piece of advice it is this - ALWAYS use different passwords for each website or app that you log into. Otherwise if one is compromised, then every other website you use with the same password is compromised too. Use a password manager to store, and ideally create, your passwords. Don't worry about changing passwords frequently (a stupid policy most workplaces impose) it's much better to have a strong unique password which does not change.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement