Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice

Options
  • 07-12-2023 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

I have an absolutely beautiful 39 year oul jaguar xjs, midnight blue with oatmeal leather seats. It has been the most reliable car I've ever had, and I love it. I've been UK based but I'm moving home next year.

Here is my quandary, it didn't cost much really for what it is, and there are a couple of minor rust spots on it. It has done 105k miles. It sits for months unused but starts and drives every time.

My concern is that it may not be worth what it would cost to get it pristine. Well it definitely wouldn't. Id likely be looking at a full bare metal respray, with a bit of filling and possibly welding.

I had it waxoyled and cavity sprayed for over 10 years and it's excellent underneath, but the gearbox is glitchy (always has been) though it's never let me down, and I'd have to think that at 40 years old, the engine and transmission may need work too. It squeals when cold/damp.

The question is, would folk on here pay to get it pristine, or run it as is, or sell it as is and buy a pristine one, or just sell it before I move home?

I suspect it wouldn't pass an NCT though it passes the MOT each time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

It sounds like you really love your car, as I do mine, I'd defiantly keep it if possible! However two points, if you currently have dry storage for it, will you have the same when you move back to Ireland? And factor in the costs of bringing it here post Brexit, I'm not up on that but there are other threads here on it, or someone else will chime in.

If selling it, I'd say you will get a much better price in the UK.

Regarding the rust, if the sills, subframe, suspension points etc are OK you should be OK for the NCT. Unless you have a sharp hole in a wing for example, you should be OK. Have a read of this:

Squeal sounds like a classic loose alternator / PAS belt, 5 to 15 min job.

I don't know about Jags, but my '83 Merc has a slight 2nd to 3rd issue, I believe it's either a vacuum leak, a small adjustment, or an easy to replace valve/spring part. But start with new ATF and filter including the torque converter.

I'd fix the rust as you can afford to and carry on enjoying it in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Private cars over 40 years old are currently exempt from NCT.

See the second question in the FAQ here:

https://www.rsa.ie/road-safety/road-users/vintage#:~:text=Are%20vintage%20cars%20exempt%20from,roadworthiness%20test%20every%20two%20years.

Just sayin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Opps forgot that! But I plan to NCT mine anyway.

Advertisement