Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cup of Tea & Scone Value

Options
  • 07-12-2023 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Old school tea drinker but do like my morning cup of tea & A scone as a treat.

Price of same has gone up plenty over the years but wondering what prices are out there , ive kind of 5 Euro as the norm but i did pay 6 Euro in a M&S cafe lately as well but came across savage value in the Whitefriar Church Cafe on Aungier Street of 3.90 as well , one could always go to Cashel Hotel in Tipperary and pay 25 Euro . Whats norm in others travels ?

Post edited by Mr Magnolia on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That €5 I assue would be made up of about €2.20 for Tea and €2.80 for a Scone?

By right, Tea should not be over €2 anywhere, ever.

Scones if perfectly fresh, I'm grand paying €2.50 for but if a place is cheeky enough to charge extra for Jam they can f off

The Cashel Palace for all the guff it got over the prices; you're kinda also paying for the setting. It's fairly spectacular in there. I know of many people who have gone there for the treat as a once-off and none had any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Your right about the Cashel place , id make the tea last as long as i could and make it a long sitting to get maximum value

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Problem is that one scone can be, literally, twice the size of another. It's hard to put a value on a "scone".

My mother's scones were about a third of the size of some commercial scones! Why have they gotten so big?

Do please explain what's so magical about the figure of €2 that is acceptable to you and what processes and knowledge you applied to come up with this figure that applies to all outlets everywhere?

And why does the Cashel Palace receive the only exemption considering nowhere, ever should charge more than €2?

Five years ago, what was an acceptable price for a cup of tea to you?

Hello my aggressive pal.

I'm giving my own opinion, on this opinion board.

Where did I say that only Cashel Palace gets the exemption? 5 years ago? Probably €1.70-€1.80 max.

How'd your Friday going? Not good it seems.

• Advertisement

Couple of things here.

This is a discussion board, not an opinion board. You are, of course, "entitled to your opinion", but you are not entitled to pedanticly declare your opinions as fact and not expect them to be questioned or, you know, discussed.

Also, if you post directly contradictory statements, you can expect this to be pointed out on a discussion board - "tea should not be over €2 anywhere, ever", followed by - your Cashel Palace opinion.

If you find everyone who questions your opinions aggressive, life must be very stressful for you.

I had a lovely Friday, thank you. And my Saturday is looking great.

Yawn

You need to enjoy things more and not take things so literally and seriously.

It's so boring when people question my sweeping statements and contradictions! Why don't people just agree with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine acting like this in a thread about tea and scones...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Why don't the two of you meet for tea and scones !!!😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Some people will argue about anything.

I agree, more than 2euro for a cup of tea is extortionate.

The ingredients cost less than 10c for a cafe and a fraction of the time to make compared to a latte or cappuccino (even with their own insane markup.

I know. Discussing the topic on a discussion board. Who would have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You aren't discussing, you are just being a passive aggressive dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't know how I clicked in here but people saying the price of tea should be highly correlated to the price of a tea bag and a splash of milk have never ran any kind of business or even seen the costs a business faces.

All the costs of running a business divided by the number of customers darkening your door and their average spend is what you have to charge.

Boring at this stage, but mainly fixed costs like wages (not cheap even at minimum wage) insurance, premises upkeep, dishwashers or disposable cups rates, rent, profit means a lot of tea must be sold !

At the end of the day there's only so much value someone will put on a tea or a coffee so margins are very thin overall, even if they are high on the actual individual cup of tea or the scone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Jeez folks, chill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement