Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying apartment - but there has been no fire audit

Options
  • 06-12-2023 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Sale agreed on apartment but found there gas been no fire audit. Built by Ray Grehan/Montaine Developments in 2004. Wondering if it is best not to go through with the sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Sounds like it could be trouble. Anything from that era is exposed to prime, Celtic Tiger chicanery. I nearly bought an apartment of a similar age a few years ago, but my solicitor got a hold of some very questionable documents from the vendor that led to y withdrawing from the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks, RichardAnd, that's my feeling too, that it might be best to withdraw from the sale. I kniw Montaine Developments were considered good developers but no fire audit worries me. 3 other apartments in that block sold over thd last 2 years, I wonder why the purchaser's didn't question this.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

The purchasers may have been buying to let out the apartment?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is a fire audit mandatory?

I know of many that haven’t got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

I don't know if a fire audit is mandatory but my surveyor stressed the importance of having one before completing the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Your surveyor is right.

That said, if the apartment appeals and makes sense in every other way, why not just get a fire audit done ? You'd have to have the agreement of the seller to do so, and realistically they should be paying for it. However, in a sellers market even if you split the cost of it it might still be worth doing.

But you'll need an idea of cost of that beforehand.

If the seller can't/won't get/allow one to be done, then you can walk away knowing you did your best diligence.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Run for the hills!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who will stand over this fire audit?

Where will the surveyor get access to?

Within the apartment is easy :

Protected Entrance Hall (depending on design).

Fire Alarm.

Party wall

penetrations.

Many will require intrusive works to see.

Now out to the common areas, service risers, cross compartment doors, vertical and horizontal penetrations, they will all require MC approval to inspect and even at that, it will just be visual.

Following Grenfell, DFB carried cladding audits on some buildings over a particular height but I don’t think it extended into the internal spaces.

Genuinely interested in hearing from anybody here who has got one of these audits privately buying an apartment as in in that field of work and personally haven’t heard of it until this thread.

Will need access to the original Fire Cert to understand the design stratagy, TGDB, BS5588, 9991 etc

I would have thought this was an audit that would be sanctioned at MC level rather than individual apartment level.

Advertisement