Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newer appliances - Selection of Types of RCD (531.3.3)

Options
  • 05-12-2023 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Some newer appliances - diswashers, washing machines ? - might need different RCD / RCBO devices, iiuc.

Is there some way to know if new washingmachine or whatever needs an updated RCD ?

• Type AC - General purpose use, RCD can detect & respond to AC sinusoidal wave only. RCD types AC are not recommended in new electrical installations.
    • Type A - Equipment incorporating electronic components RCD can detect & respond as for type AC, PLUS pulsating DC components.
    • Type F - Equipment with frequency controlled speed drives RCD can detect & respond as for type A, PLUS high frequency residual current.
    • Type B - Electric vehicle chargers, PV supplies. RCD can detect & respond for type F, PLUS smooth DC residual current.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I can't add much to what you've posted as I don't know much besides the basics😁

Isn't there supposed to be some manufacturers responsibility now to specify the type of RCD required .I believe it applies in UK anyhow.

The type AC is phased out as it only tripped for 50hz AC sine wave faults

The type A is the new basic standard and the other types can be used for loads with DC, Multi frequency faults etc

You can see from the chart that the B does everything all the others do and the F does everything the AC ,A and AKV do etc

Advertisement