Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Megastore, Aston Quay

Options
  • 05-12-2023 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

On this day in 1986, the Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay opened. According to this RTÉ News report, there seems to have to have been rumours floating around that Madonna was going to open the store. Instead, it was Microdisney and Miss World 1986.

I remember as a youth coming up to Dublin on the train with my parents for the January sales in the early to mid-90s. The day would always end with a trip to the Virgin Megastore, and then we'd hop on the 90 bus to Heuston from right outside the door. I remember giggling at seeing condoms on sale in there, even though I probably wasn't sure what they were, other than they were for "grown-ups." I also saw Marty Whelan in there once!

I don't recall the store closing at all, but Google tells me it was 2002. At that point, there was another, smaller Virgin store on Henry Street (the old Our Price store I think), a Megastore in Cork, and stores in the Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown SCs as well. A Megastore also opened in the Dundrum Town Centre in 2005. Virgin sold the UK and Ireland stores to Zavvi in 2007, who didn't last very long at all. Another defunct name in UK/Ireland retailing, and all we have left are the memories.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Used to love going in there and browsing the records and posters. Occasionally buying a few records. Would often walk down a bit further to Richer Sounds to pick up blank tapes and swoon over the hi fi equipment that I was too poor to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It was a great shop when it opened. Vinyl section for every artist. Bought loads there between 1986 - 1990. The two HMVs were excellent then too.

They had the advantage over the indie shops because they opened at 9.00am. The latter lost quite a bit of business from early birds like me.

Advertisement