Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ospreys in Ireland

Options
  • 05-12-2023 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if people had spotted any Ospreys since the ones were introduced in Waterford?

I wouldn't have known anything about spotting them, but I'd be 80-90% sure I saw one yesterday.

Was wondering if the ones more knowledgeable than me could help with id-ing and with learning more about their flight patterns specifically, in hunting

This was on open wetland/bog near a river, I didn't see it dive/plunge for fish though

Also unsure after googling, whether I should be looking at reporting any sightings, considering the efforts to re-introduce and establish breeding pairs?

tia!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Apparently there are! Sorry to give you search links, but it seems that there are a number around, I just couldn't find the sites off the birdwatch site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abirdwatchireland.ie+osprey&newwindow=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

Thanks for replying!

I did wonder at that, because i know the BTO bird track website wasn't working for me, but they don't usually show sensitive/endangered bird sightings due to the risks of sites being known/vandalised or worse

I'd love for it to have been an osprey, but to see it again and be a little more prepared.

Phone had died, and no binoculars on me, but i'll see if I can get a bit more certainty on what it was at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I did wonder at that, because i know the BTO bird track website wasn't working for me, but they don't usually show sensitive/endangered bird sightings due to the risks of sites being known/vandalised or worse

I figured it might be hidden in the password protected part alright.

I only found the site this week as there were guys photographing waxwings around Sandyford, so I checked to see what the fuss was all about. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We had one briefly visited a small lake in Galway last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just to say, Ospreys are migratory, so leave here in the autumn and go to Africa for the winter. The last one logged on Irishbirding.com was at the start of November.

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web

• Advertisement
Advertisement