Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting stairs into a house for an attic conversion

Options
  • 04-12-2023 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am looking to convert my attic in my current Bungalow. Upstairs is suitable for conversion. My query is around fitting stairs. The house has a screed floor with underfloor heating pipes below. Is there anyway of adding a stair case that doesn't involve drilling down into the floor to fix the staircase. The current front hallway in the house is big enough to accommodate a normal set of straight stairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

will it be along a wall?

Is there at wall at the top supporting the ope?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 samcr440!

Hi yes the planned opening is beside a wall. The wall would be running along the entire left side of the planned stairs. There is no wall at the front of the planned opening

Hi has anyone got any advice for me thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If you have one long wall then you dont need to attach the stairs to the floor as you will have attachment at the wall and the trimmer joists that will be accommodated in the attic area. A few pics of the layout would help for advice. Once you have one string attached to a wall normally in 3 places , or 5 is better then the stairs is not going anywhere.. Once the top tread section is attached to the trimmer joist, its job done.

If its a well made stairs then its rigidity adds a lot to the single attachment of either string. Will under the stairs be made into storage area or left open.

• Advertisement

Hi Thank you for your reply. Will try and get a few pictures this evening when I go home. We plan to left under the stairs open.

Advertisement