Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire

Options
  • 03-12-2023 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭

Still churning these films out, along with the monarch TV show, must be people going to see them I suppose, this looks err expensive I guess.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

FYI your link isn't working.

Theres no way of telling without going to watch the movie. There are some movies that are "So bad, they are good". Although I don't usually like them. Some movies can be surprisingly entertaining despite having little to no plot. Battleship being a good example. The whole premise is thoroughly silly, but I really enjoyed and have rewatched it. Great soundtrack too.

I liked the Hollywood Godzilla movie that came out late nineties, but it got slated by the critics and did badly at the box office. Although I partly put that down to the main hero of the movie being the French actor Jean Reno, who spends much of the movie complaining about American coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Budget $200m.

A bit more than the $15m Godzilla Minus One cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus they're really dispensing with the final semblance of reality with these: to the extent the monsters don't seem to have any weight or heft anymore.

I said it in the TV thread but it's wild the Monarch TV show is set in the same universe cos tonally they're different beasts altogether.

As to this? Looks like they have just dispensed with any sense of size and heft; the FX look like rubber toys jumping about.

And Godzilla v Kong only took 470 worldwide so not like this series has been a barnstorming box office kaiju here; that's a potential bomb coming at that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Agree about the heft. Compare that Kong to the one in Kong - Skull Island. The latter practically moved in slow motion whereas this version runs and leaps around like a fecking squirrel monkey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've really come to low-key love Skull Island: it felt like an old fashioned Doug McClure monster movie of yore, while utilising its modern FX in smart, sometimes creative ways. Its use of the Kuleshov Effect with a sandwich remains a chef's kiss moment of sub-grindhouse insanity for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tested and link working fine for me.

It seems very CGI heavy compared to the others (based on trailer only) maybe not a bad thing given how poorly written the human characters have tended to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hard to get even remotely excited about this when there’s a well-received Japanese Godzilla movie coming to cinemas in two weeks.

Why is Godzilla pink?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I'm guessing he evolves or it's an upgrade like Kong's Metal arm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The scale looks off, Godzilla has been portrayed as being massive and lumbering, the way he moves here just looks like lazy cgi

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Looks like complete garbage to me.

Thought the last one was complete one-star crap as well though and that seemed to get decent reviews.

As others say, even in that last one it had the similar problem of the creatures just feeling like they were in a video game, there was no sense of scale, weight whatsoever.

I did think Skull Island was pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Reading that due to the license agreement the reason the Japanese Godzilla movie can't come out next year for the 70th anniversary is that this is coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

minus one for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

My post is about the previous two movies (I assume the Godzilla vs Kong thread is dead).

I watched Godzilla vs Kong yesterday. I had been told it is terrible but I really liked it. It was a lot of fun (a few plot holes and Madison & Mark seemed to have changed personalities, fun nonetheless) and focused more on the big monsters than these type of films usually do.

What I want to ask about though is - are the Titans smaller in the earlier part of the movie than the are in the battle in Hong Kong?

Kong fits on the ship for transport, but the Kong in the Skull Island movie seemed like he was way too big for something that at that point in his life, so all these decades later he is supposed to be even bigger. And the size he was among the buildings looked to me to be way bigger than he was on the ship.

And Godzilla too. In the previous films he would crushed an aircraft carrier if he stood on it, let alone stand on one with Kong and have a punch up.

Or am I completely and the sizes are consistent and I’m just crap maths? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cost ten times as much as Godzilla Minus One, and looks ten times cheaper somehow 👍️

That look so bad a lets a team up and be a buddy cop monster movie

I mean yeah it looks crap ... but then the voice in my head reminds me that 90% of the Japanese zilla films were also naff cringe too. They weren't all haunting interrogations of Japan's nuclear history.

Between Minus One and Legacy of Monsters this really strikes a singular tone, so props for running with it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There is a HUUUUUUUUUGE, storeys-high, wraparound billboard for this in Times Square at the moment, and I suspect it's the best thing about this entire movie.

Honestly, what I kind of loved most about Godzilla Minus One is that even with the amazing effects, he still kind of looked like the old stop-motion 'Zilla from the Chewits ads...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

saw it today. It is a lot fun but zero zero need for the Brian Tyre Henry (?) conspiracy podcaster. Dan Stevens character is fun and Hall and Hottle are very likeable.

No explanation for why Kyle Chandler is no longer the head of Monarch.

Not enough Godzilla but King gets a decent amount of screentime. Big showdown is far too short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It takes a film like this to make me really appreciate just how good Godzilla: Minus One was.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Can you sue a cinema for emotional damage if they don't refuse to sell you a ticket to a film this bad? Don't know what the opposite to a superlative is but this is all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I loved it! It was fun and fluff but perfect as a check your brain out popcorn film.

It was my favourite of the series except for skull island but the vibe is so different I don't think its fair to compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Hungry Burger

All these movies are meant to be in the same universe but are tonally diametrically opposed to each other, they just get more and more ridiculous as they go on (and that’s saying something about films about giant monsters)

I enjoyed Godzilla vs Kong for what it was but this one felt silly. I think the original monsters are weak as well, should of kept to established Tojo Kaiju.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone get a sense of diminished scale? Kong, Godzilla and co are supposed to be titans but they just look normal sized when most of the film is devoted to titans.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement