Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler circulating pump vibrating noise

Options
  • 03-12-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys,

Just moved to a house 5 months ago. We have a Stanley stove and back boiler in the living room which was working to heat up the radiators. A couple nights ago the radiators were not warm but we had loads of hot water, ran the hot water taps to release some of the hot water. We lit a fire last night and I turned the thermostat down but the pump still wouldn’t kick in. We have some oil but it’s so cold out so we have lit a small fire tonight again, but now the circulating pump (Polaris water pump) is making a vibrating noise. Is this dangerous? Also we are located near Letterkenny area and would appreciate any recommendation for a plumber. I’m sure they’re all swamped at this time of year, and normally I would layer up and just wait it out but we have a 6 month old so really want this sorted so we’re not burning oil (money) all day! Will be ringing plumbers first thing in the morning but wondering if the vibration noise is serious or poses a current threat and if so do we extinguish the fire?

Thanks so much for any advice, and sorry for stupid questions!

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭jj880

We had a failed circulation pump about 2 months ago. Same setup as you. Pump completely dead though. No vibrating.

The pipes rattled really loudly when we didnt run off enough hot water before having showers. It was very noisy. We didnt light another fire until we got a plumber in.

Replacing the pump seemed to be a simple enough job. Couple hours and job done. My plumber lives in Malin Head though. Probably better to try a plumber closer to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The pump is to circulate the water and ultimately prevent dangerous overheating. I wouldn't light again until youve had the pump issue resolved. Check if the power is working to it could be simple fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Nappertandy384

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, ours was dead last night and didn’t make any sound. So I was surprised tonight when it started vibrating. Can I ask what it cost you for the whole job? Labour+cost of pump? If you can’t remember I understand, would just like a ballpark so I can mentally prepare haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can't really recall. Swapped mine myself about 4 years ago was around 80 for the pump.

No problem it was 150 euro but we had a replacement pump ready that came out of another house. He had to drain the system to get at our pump as it was in an awkward spot. He also moved the pump to a more accessible location and added some extra piping and valves.

If your pump is easily accessible it might not cost you that much in labour.

Plumber said having our own pump saved us 100 euro on the job.

• Advertisement

1 more thing as listermint says I have a phase tester screwdriver + multimeter in the house.

This showed me that the pump was indeed receiving power (242 volts IIRC) when the thermostat temperature was being reached. So then I knew it had failed before I rang a plumber. Got 12 years out of the old pump so not bad.

Advertisement