Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigar recommendations

Options
  • 03-12-2023 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

Really starting to enjoy having a cigar during the week, I've smoked them on special occasions for years but I've mostly just smoked cohiba Cuban's, which was grand on the odd occasion but they are quite expensive.

I tried some vegafina 1998s and ghurka ghosts while on holiday which where actually lovely and quite a bit more affordable. Just wondering if anyone here has some recommendations? I like a 60-80 minute smoke, not really a fan of short cigars as it nullifies my reason for smoking them. I suppose price per cigar in the 10 - 30euro range.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've pretty much given up on cigars, but when I smoked them, Romeo y Julieta No. 2 was my brand: fairly light but nicely spicy. Apart from the price, I always found Cohibas too harsh on my delicate palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Juan Lopez, Arturo Fuente and Perdomo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

First thing is that I would not recommend buying them in Ireland, unless you don't mind the convenience of being able to purchase them readily vs the exorbitant excise on tobacco.

The site above does not ship to Ireland, but is good for searching through different brands and sizes with a handy search filter to help by price, length, width, country of origin etc. One thing I would recommend is not to go too far about a 50 ring gauge for a cigar because I've noticed that fatter cigars tend to have more problems with construction and therefore burn, and the problems they have you have to deal with for longer since there's more of it, if you don't want to simply throw it away and waste it. So if you want a longer smoke, get a smoke that is literally longer, i.e. a robusto, or a toro or even a Churchill cigar shape, which are 5,6 and 7 inches respectively while all being at or under a 50 ring gauge. You could also go double corona or lancero, which are about as long, but a bit thinner.

If you can buy from somewhere like Germany, I highly recommend as regular cigars anything from Vegafina, the Ashton Benchmade line or Joya De Nicaragua. Also, the Villa Zamorano line from Maya De Selva was good when I used to smoke them, such as the anniversary no 15.

Advertisement