Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Season Review

Options
  • 03-12-2023 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there's interest in this but I'm sitting here bored of not having any Formula 1 to watch, and none to watch for another few months. Just thought I'd come up with some categories for people to give their verdict and opinions on the season gone by. Feel free to take away or add any categories if you want to contribute.

Most impressive driver

Probably a pointless category as it's obviously Max Verstappen. Just what a season. 19 wins is something I thought would never have been possible. He's taken consistency to the next level over the past few seasons, and this past season he's felt inevitable. His dominance could very well continue as well for another season.

If Max is discounted, I'd give my vote to Norris. Finished 6th, 1 point off 4th and less than 30 off 3rd when he had an awful car for 8/22 races. He really stepped it up this past season and he's surely not far off his first victory.

Most improved driver

Alex Albon for me. I had a low enough opinion of him before the beginning of the season, but this season he's shown that he has a well deserved spot in the sport and is probably in the top half of drivers talent-wise.

Worst driver

Probably one of the most competitive categories with Magnussen and Sargeant both very poor and another 2 or 3 drivers desperately under-performing, but Nyck De Vries for me. I was optimistic for him at the start of the season given his age and how long he's been around the sport, but you rarely see someone just completely out of their depth in top level sports. He was horrendous.

Most impressive team

Another easy one for Red Bull. From their car, to strategy, to pit stops, they've been near flawless all season.

Aside from Red Bull, I've been very impressed with McLaren. They're potentially closest to challenging Red Bull next season. With a terrible car for 8 races and a rookie driver, they still finished 4th, around 100 points behind Mercedes and Ferrari.

Most improved team

Aston Martin without doubt. Had they had a better second driver they would have easily finished 4th or potentially higher. A bit worrying for them that their 'upgrades' made the car worse for a number of races before iirc having to undo all the 'upgrades' and go with their original car.

Most disappointing team

Haas (Alpine not far behind). I love Gunther, but I don't think anyone else would still be in a job with the results he's had. Even on strategy they almost always seem to get things wrong.

Most impressive GP drive

A lot of very impressive drives throughout the season, and probably a lot that I'm forgetting, but the Sainz drive in Singapore was amazing. One that will live long in the memory. He played a risky game keeping Norris in DRS range and it ultimately paid off.

Most impressive qualifying

Max in Monaco. What a lap. I still watch it the odd time, absolutely mesmerizing.

Most impressive sprint

Piastri getting a win in his debut season was hugely impressive. That sprint performance in Qatar is undoubtedly up there with drives of the season.

Most impressive rookie

Easy one here, Piastri looks like a real talent whereas Sargeant and De Vries were quite poor. The spotlight was firmly on his after the way he was signed, but he's delivered and more this past season. McLaren look like they've stolen an absolute gem of a driver and now have one of the best driver pairings.

Best/favourite Grand Prix

Not many good ones with Max making things boring, but Singapore for me. A real battle for the lead all the way to the end. Plenty of drama as well with Russell crashing out late and numerous overtakes.

Best/favourite overtake

Probably Alonso on Hamilton on the opening weekend. A brilliant move that completely caught Hamilton out. Alonso and Leclerc's on Perez in last laps on consecutive weekends were very memorable, and the Gasly overtake on Albon in Spa was also very impressive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Most impressive driver.

It's obvious it's Max. He had an amazing season. 19 race wins unreal but it made the season boring.

Least impressive driver:

Has to go to Nyck De Vyres.

He promised so much after his good performance in 2022 as a quick stand in replacement for other drivers but then failed to deliver this season

Most improved Team:

I hate to say it but it's Mclaren. They started of on the back foot and looking very bad but after the first 8 races they improved massively and if it continues into next year they might even be competitive up front.

Most dissapointing Team:

I hate to say it but for me this has to go to Alpine. Thet just seemed to fall apart and it did not help that in a race where there two drives were competitive they managed to crash into each other and end up with no points on that race.

Biggest team turnaround:

Has to go to Ferrari. We all expected them to do a Ferrari every race but they actually done OK this season certainly not as good as they could have. Losing second in the constructors to Mercedes was bad but they did win a race and were the only other team all season to win a race bar Red Bull.

Biggest team improvement over the season:

Mercedes. They got second in the constructors and there car got better. Thet will no doubt be a lot more competitive next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement