Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low water pressure - trying to bleed radiator

Options
  • 03-12-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Trying to bleed a bathroom rad, which is the highest point of my heating system. Don't seem to get enough water pressure for the water to push up enough.

(I am in North Dublin, water pressure is always a bit meh)

There's a filling valve plumbed in, and when I open the valve, pretty much nothing happens.

So I am trying to figure out if the water pressure is really just that low (0.2 atm or so), or if the valve doesn't open (despite it clearly turning in and out).

If it is broken, wondering if I need to replace the whole thing (which is a bit of a PITA), or anyone might have any bright ideas if I can maybe repair it in situ.

Also, anyone knows where I can get such a replacement unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

Not sure if it helps you but that's an automatic filling valve. https://www.heatmerchants.ie/heat-merchants-automatic-filling-valve-u83810

Something I've seen connected to tanks in the attic 2m above it, making it equivalent to a one way valve at best, unless you think 0.2 bar is fine! Also if you have a leak, you won't know about it.

You're supposed to set the pressure. The feed will stop when that pressure is reached.

This may not help you unless your set point is so low that the valve isn't opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Thanks a ton! This is very helpful. Found a manual / guide based on your product link,

I particularly like this: "You are advised to install a bypass on the filling valve in order to shorten filling times and facilitate maintenance."

Conveniently, the plumber at the time didn't bother with the bypass nor bother putting shut-off valves before/after, for easy replacement.

I'll check the maintenance instructions and if applicable to my unit follow them and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again!

EDIT: after reading up on how it is supposed to work, and how to set things, it was a matter of turning a screw clockwise. Radiator is air-free, and pressure set to around 1.1

Even the gas boiler pressure gauge is finally 'in the green'. Thanks again!

Advertisement