Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about the Irish driving test - steering technique

Options
  • 03-12-2023 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

So I've been a learner driver for a while now (little over a year) and I will soon be taking the driver test here in Ireland (Killarney, co. Kerry to be be more exact). Thing is I've never been able to do the 'feed the wheel' steering techinque, no matter how much both my instructors tried explaining and demonstrating it. Whenever I steer using the 'feed the wheel' technique, I end up in semi-dangerous situations like almost hitting another car, clipping the kerb etc. I am aware this is the safest steering method and I've tried practicing it thousands of times, but I simply cannot do it safely.

I am most comfortable steering using the 'hand over hand' technique which is the one I've seen most drivers use. I also steer and turn with one hand in roundabouts or if gear changes are involved. My question is: during the test, will they fail me or mark me for not using the 'feed the wheel' technique, or for steering with one hand from time to time? From watching YouTube videos, I know that in the UK they don't mind as long as you keep good control of the car, but was curious if Ireland is any different in this regard.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Crossing hands or one hand steering will result in grade 2 faults. The easiest way I get my students to practice the technique is act like you’re drying a large plate. Practice on a plate, turning the plate in your hands without taking your hands off it. Make use of the whole thing, hands meeting at top and bottom, don’t let hands pass “12 & 6”. They should be meeting at these points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Crossing hands.

Driving with one hand

Changing gears in a corner.

These are all things your instructor should have told you about.

Best of luck with the test

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boyoutofhell

They did. Problem is I don't have the same amount of control and can't react as fast when driving 'by the rules'. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I'll second the plate technique. You can practice at home while watching tv, cost free. You'll be like an advanced driver guru in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭blackbox

The "feed the wheel" technique is preferred by Irish and UK authorities, so this is what you have to do for your test.

In some other countries it is not considered the best method, but unfortunately you will just have to comply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

It should be drilled into you now to also keep hands at 10 to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭GHendrix

As far as I know, steering will only get you grade 1s which don’t matter. At least for me that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Funnily enough we had the RSA visit the job telling us this was an incorrect method that the car manufacturer doesn’t recommend.

The RSA recommended holding the steering wheel at the spokes and turning the wheel from horizontal to vertical as you need to.

I’ve tried that method and it’s very awkward imo- it means crossing your arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Well OP

How did the test go?

Advertisement