Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underfloor heating out of control

Options
  • 03-12-2023 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Might the the first time someone complains heating is working too much, but here we are.

Let's see if someone can help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

I live in a bungalow, last year we installed underfloor heating and double glazed windows.

Every room has its own loop and thermostat.

Corridor and bathrooms are on an open loop.

We have a bosh heat pump set to "optimized 17°"

Some rooms like the studio, kitchen and sitting room, are set to 16° daytime and 13° nighttime.

Bedrooms are set to constant 18°.

I can feel the floor going warm and cold, so I assume the loops are opening and closing, but right now, nearly 2am, the kitchen reached 22°.

What's wrong with it?

I mean, the warmth is nice, but my bill is just too high.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

The kitchen is a busy room, are windows open when cooking? What wall as in north or south facing is the stat located? Lots of other variables, possible faulty stat also.

Is the boiler or heat pump running now at the 22 temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SycoLTH

The kitchen is busy up to 9pm, after that I would expect the temperature to slowly go down.

It's south facing and I don't open any windows while cooking, I just use the extractor fan, and I also have a mvhr system pumping air in and out rooms.

The stat is next to the door, on wall opposite of the external wall.

Last night at 2 the heat pump was very much working, sounded like a airplane was taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SycoLTH

So, I pulled the panels and started looking at the actuators, and they were not moving, we are running on a constant half open loop in every room.

The floor goes warm and cold when the heat pump goes on and off, and some rooms actuators are more open the the others and those rooms get warmer, also influenced by the distance from the boiler.

I opened 3 thermostat to try trace the cables and noticed they are wired wrong, when I rewired them the actuators started going up and down.

Except some thermostat are wired to the wrong actuators, and also there's 13 actuators but only 11 are wired in.

So, mystery solved, the electrician was a moron.

Now that I understand all the wiring I might as well do the job myself..

Advertisement