Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard of driving currently

Options
  • 02-12-2023 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I really have noticed a shocking standard of driving in the last 1-2 years..

Driving straight onto roundabouts with no awareness of who is already on it,

Coming out of junctions onto a main road again, with no awareness of what other traffic is already there.

Phone use, attention to children in the back seats, doing the make-up.... it seems like the actual driving is the last thing on the drivers mind.

Right of way, literally no knowledge.. it can be scary!

Is it to do with the test backlog or just the lack of attention and self centered approach?

Don't get me started on the E-Scooters, children who have never had any road education weaving all over the road....

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Boo hoo , it's grand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's not grand. Just today, I saw a whole bunch of cars go though the green man pedestrian lights. Not new.

Constantly bikes that have no lighting, running red lights and going against the one way system on bike paths.

And I'm coming from a pedestrian viewpoint, as I don't drive. There is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cyclists or drivers whats the issue , the op says one and your last post says the other ?

Is it everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Turning lights on seems to be optional, 3 cars tonight had not a single light to their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes tye standard of driving is very poor on Irish roads alright. People seem to think they are invincible once they are in there cars and don't care about anyone else and new young drivers once thet have passed there test seem to forget everything they have learned too. Not all of them of course but a lot of them one thing that really annoys me is someone driving onto a pedestrian crossing and blocking it in a line of traffic. Also people mostly young lads who keep going to cross the pedestrian crossing when there is people on it. That us how people get knocked down and killed on these. Once a person is on the crossing you are supposed to stop before it not race across before they get to your side a sure it will be OK the young lads think. Disgracefull. I happily tell anyone blocking or racing across one that they need to learn the rules of the road and I am reporting them to the Garda.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Surely they had a St Christopher medal swinging from rear view mirror to safeguard them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's a thread that'll keep repeating simply because nothing will change.

I agree with op. Driving standards while never great have deteriorated to a point where nothing surprises me anymore.

Cats that 'pop' out of junctions almost like the driver doesn't realise they're at one til the last second.nor is it because it's too much bloody trouble to slow on approach because God forbid we have to slow down at all.

No lights even when dark but why would they be needed!

Indicators..yeah right.

Traffic on roundabout having right of way..never learned that one!

Consideration for pedestrians/cyclists/vulnerable road users..not happening any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many people now are on their phones while driving , not so much taking calls but reading and responding to what’s app messages etc …leading to many crash’s and tips …. There’s no guards to deter it in many towns and villages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Aul lads (and it is always aul lads), usually in an old pajero or land cruiser ‘setting the speed’ on 2 lane main roads. Peak travelling times are their favourite time for this.

Dozens of cars behind them, kilometre after kilometre of empty road in front of them (cos they’ll never do enough speed to catch another car)

80 on the straights and right out to the white line so nobody can see past them. Drop a few gears and take that slight curve at a heady 60 but usually 50 or less.

Thank **** they don’t venture out at night.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Roundabouts on town bypasses are a particular problem.

Drivers on the "main road" ie. the bypass seem to think they have priority.

They drive at speed onto the roundabouts without regard to traffic already on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Definitely things are getting worse, last week I witnessed a lad who missed his turn for the Drummartin Link Road in Sandyford, reverse back on the roundabout, rather than drive around it a second time to turn off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Sitting in traffic…head buried in their chest…typing away…one hand on the steering wheel….traffic in front has long since moved off…14 cars behind waiting for them to finish their WhatsApp and glance up for long enough to know that “we’re all waiting for you”.

Driving in the mornings all over the weekend with the remnants of last nights coke still lingering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Cui bono?

Advertisement