Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do wifi security cameras use a lot of bandwidth or data? Connecting to hotspot

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

The cameras will work fine from your hotspot, but will not function once your phone leaves the vicinity of the sync module, or you turn your hotspot off. This means you won't get the motion detection notifications until the phone/hotspot is back in range. Your scenario won't work if you want to monitor the premises when you are not there.

As far as I can tell the cameras would upload about 1.5Mb per 10second clip. Have you an opportunity to to use an older mobile phone, with a GoMo or Three sim, and leave it in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Cheers, yeah I have an old handpiece and I think I have a 8 GB data allowance monthly.

But even then, main concern is having it active WHEN I'm there. I just want a video of the perpetrators to positively ID them.

But you reckon the camera will work fine with my current mobile hotspot?

I assume you wouldn't consider data usage being an issue, as the camera would only activate when the motion detector is set off?

Cause 1.5 mb for 10 seconds, for a camera constantly on would burn through my data allow real quick.

In physics we trust....

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Actually, I'm not sure if you can set teh system up with just a hotspot, because the Wifi is needed for the setup of the sync module. Based on your other thread, you should try the dummy camera first (in case it goes missing), and then the one with the SD card, before going down the Blink route

I got that camera.

Turns out the main issue is that the app only runs on a mobile.

Is there no wifi camera where its controlling/interphase app can be installed on ones computer or laptop?

This is what I need cause then I can just use my phone hotspot as a wifi router.

In physics we trust....

• Advertisement

Or does anyone know will a stand alone router (no subscription to a wifi service) work to relay camera data locally?

i.e. I just use my phone hotspot, but get a physical router to connect to the wifi camera, then use my phone to connect to the router?

In physics we trust....

currys.ie/products/ring-video-doorbell-1-2nd-gen-bronze-10209129.html?searchTerm=ring%20camera

Gonna buy this.

It should run from my phone hotspot, just needs a cloud subscription.

Any idea how heavy on data use it might be?

I'm limited monthly but, provided it only activates when motion sensors come on, I should be okay.

I think I can also access the interface from my laptop instead of phone (i.e. no phone app required).

Which is important for me as I don't want a second cell phone just to interface with it.

Thoughts?

In physics we trust....

Advertisement