Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncomfortable bed in new accommodation

Options
  • 02-12-2023 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi all, I've just moved into a houseshare a couple of days ago and really happy with everything about the place except the bed. Its really bad. Its awfully soft and not very supportive at all when lying down. Its a brand new mattress too according to the landlord, who I live with. I'm not sure where she bought it from. It feels completely hollow when I sit on it, and like being swallowed by marshmallow when lying in it. She said the previous tenant had his own mattress and obviously took it away with him then. Herself and her partner are very sound and easy to get on with, always stressing to me how if theres any issue with the house to let them know and they will sort it. Im not sure though would this extend to complaining about the bed though! They'd hardly buy a new one out of their pocket, or even go halfs with me? I suppose I'll have to ask her, which I will. Has anyone ever had this awkward issue before of complaining about the bed youre given? Ive been lucky to have had good beds wherever Ive lived, bar one other place I lived which was similar to this bed. I've heard of mattress toppers for beds that are too soft but are they any good? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Toppers are not much use in this situation what you need is to put a thin quarter inch sheet of plywood under the mattress. Firmer bed, more support, cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just buy a new mattress yourself and ask them to put their one in the attic for the duration. Life is too short to sleep on a crap mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

33% of your day cycle is spent in a mattress, just get a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

As others have said, get your own mattress and take it when you leave. They're a very particular thing for many. Don't be going halves. Buy it and leave with it when the time comes. Nice and simple.

Advertisement